View Full Version : How about this little guy...

karinatwork
02-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Look what arrived in my inbox this morning... These are Canadian dollars.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=19&WLBS=fsweb15&sku_id=0665000FS10029460&catid=&newdeptid=19

That would be a great thing to have when going on a long trip with a digital camera... I could just leave my laptop at home.

:)

spinedoc
02-03-2004, 05:52 PM
I never understood the appeal of these devices over a PPC, except of course the hard drive size. Just seems like another device and AC adapter to pack up.

dmacburry2003
02-03-2004, 07:59 PM
A Pocket PC is a great thing to have with your digital camera on long trips.

I think you knocked your head off or something Karinatwork... :wink:

Besides, 699$??????? I could just buy a cheap iPaq (wait... I already did) and get a few gig CF for that price.

karinatwork
02-03-2004, 08:09 PM
I MAYBE get 2 Gigabytes for this price in CF format.
And for viewing pictures on a trip, unfortunately my storage format of choice for cameras is CF and my Ipaq only "eats" SD. So 20 gigs with a nice screen, and water resistant... doesn't look so bad to me. :)

Then again, maybe someone DID hit me over the head. That's what my husband says all the time when I tell him about the next great little gadget I am planning to buy! :mrgreen:

K.

dmacburry2003
02-03-2004, 08:27 PM
You have heard about Portable Media Centers too, right?

karinatwork
02-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Yes. The ones that I have seen are bigger, bulkier, don't have a big screen, and cost about the same.

Don't worry! I'm not going to buy one! :wink:

dmacburry2003
02-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Buy one??? Ha! I was thinking about suing Microsoft for ownership rights! :wink:

mountainguy
02-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Karina,

Thanks for the post. I followed the link and saw the sexy little guy and thought, "what a really cool little machine." And then I saw the price: $700.00. I really did have sticker shock, not just because it costs that much as I understand the technology to get all the good stuff in that tiny package. I think that I had sticker shock because I have just gotten accustomed to see large prices on small items. It almost seems that the price is inversely proportional to the size of the gizmo.

I started doing a list in my head of all the really cool things I could do with the seven hundred clams INSTEAD of buying that cool toy: I could fly round trip to Istanbul and spent two days going through the Grand Bazaar. I could enough good wine to last at least for this year. With seven hundred dollars you could sponser a high school French class field trip to a local university for their French film festival. Or with $700 you could take your old VW to Macco and have them repaint it at least 2.5 times. I'm sure everyone could fill in the blanks for themselves.

I'm just amazed and reminded of the price of our fun little toys and how I will usually find a way to justify getting what I think is way cool. Thanks for the post and for the thoughts that it has engendered.

Kenn

JustinGTP
02-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Just a note, this is actually only about $530.00 american, so Dmac, you can get a really nice iPaq for this (your math is terrible lol :twisted:)

dmacburry2003
02-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Oh, its in Canadian dollars?

Duh :oops:

I think I have... five Canadian dollars.

JustinGTP
02-04-2004, 12:28 AM
hey!

I have 5 American, but I do travel down there a bit, so Im not that isolated :lol:

mountainguy
02-04-2004, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Honda Civ..that this is in Canadian dollars. Can't believer I missed that. :oops: Because of that I take back everything I said, especially wanting to help the economy of our good neighbors to the North. In fact, this is such a good deal and such a small amount of money, I think that those of us who are married or partnered should all go out and buy a "HIS" and "HER" models! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Kenn

karinatwork
02-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Hi mountainguy,

I appreciate your posts, and I understand what you are saying. You see, one reason for me to come to this website is to read about new devices and gadgets that are coming out. It's great to see new inventions (like the flat and bendable screen, for example) but most of all I enjoy seeing something that I would be able to actually purchase right now, basically, after it made the jump from being a concept to the actual item in the store. The other thing I enjoy is then standing with shiny eyes in front of a virtual store front window together with my fellow gadgeteers (like you), looking inside, staring at the brand spankin' new toys, and then hitting you (virtually) with my elbow in your ribs, calling out "Look at that, Kenn!!! Can you believe this!!!" and you reply "Yes, of course, I see it! Stop hitting me!" And for a little while longer, we're both standing there (virtually) contemplating this new little toy, and the possibilities. And then, we stroll away from that window and when we get to a street vendor we spend our last 25 cents for some strawberry icecream, without even thinking about that we should have rather put away that money to eventually being able to purchase that item, because in the end, we knew exactly that the money was better spend on that icecream.

What I am trying to say is that not everything I see out there is something I MUST have. It's great just to see the things, to talk about it, to think about the possibilities, even when there's no way I can spend that kind of money on them. Well, and even if I had that kind of money, before spending it to have my VW repainted in Morocco... first of all, I gotta get some milk and diapers for my 2 year old, then then, maybe, if some money is left at the end of the month, pay some other bills and then, MAYBE, after a while of saving, I might be able to spend money on something that I will first thouroughly research and when I find a reason that might help me to really justify such a purchase, then maybe... But that's another story.

:D

K.

Deemo
02-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Screensavers on TechTV did a small review on that unit and their thoughts were nice idea but not ready for prime time yet.
You may be able to find more details on their site.

mountainguy
02-05-2004, 02:39 AM
Hey Karina,

Best virtual strawberry ice cream I've ever had. Loved your description of some of the reason why you come here. I enjoy a community that understands and enjoys some of the same gadgets I do, as opposed to my office mates who just want to know what the latest toy I've bought is! Hope that your 2 year old is not wearing virtual diapers and drinking virtual milk! In 18 years you will be where I am and that is paying non-virtual tuition for univesity study. So much fun, but it severely limits the pursuit of the latest gadget. Love the name of your town or village.

Cheers,

Kenn

szamot
02-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Oh, its in Canadian dollars?

Duh :oops:

I think I have... five Canadian dollars.

That's about all it is worth!

szamot
02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Honda Civ..that this is in Canadian dollars. Can't believer I missed that. :oops: Because of that I take back everything I said, especially wanting to help the economy of our good neighbors to the North. In fact, this is such a good deal and such a small amount of money, I think that those of us who are married or partnered should all go out and buy a "HIS" and "HER" models! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Kenn

Hold your horses, it is FutureSlop after all, they most likely have one in Toronto and one in Vancouver, if that.

Jonathon Watkins
02-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Karinatwork, does this thing take CF cards? I' assuming that this is what "External Memory Format: CompactFlash" means? If so - that's exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for - a large storage device with a CF slot, so I can transfer photos to it during longer trips. I have a 1Gb CF card - but it does get full at time. :oops:

Trouble is, 20Gb is slightly too small - I want a 40Gb to fit all my current albums in MP3 format on it. Ooooh - Sooooo close. :lol: Never mind - I'll wait 10 mins and a new one will come along I guess. :wink: Enjoy!

Aerestis
02-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Chilliwack is a sort of cool name. I pass through there every now and again, while I live in Victoria otherwise. There's a futureshop really near by, and I get their flyers constantly. I sort of wanted to get a toshiba last week... But the problem with buying things is that you end up giving people money, and you want to keep it. it's sort of a love hate thing. I love getting pda's, but I hate to give futureshop my money. We should start building pda's in our living rooms. I can't wait until I can sleep.

karinatwork
02-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I do believe is has a CF card slot, that's why I was interested in it in the first place.

Chilliwack is a really nice town. It's a native name, meaning "quieter water at the head", probably referring to the Fraser river, because when it flows by Chilliwack it just came through the really rough waters of Hell's Gate.

K.

dmy
02-11-2004, 10:36 PM
The other thing I enjoy is then standing with shiny eyes in front of a virtual store front window together with my fellow gadgeteers (like you), looking inside, staring at the brand spankin' new toys, and then hitting you (virtually) with my elbow in your ribs, calling out "Look at that, Kenn!!! Can you believe this!!!" and you reply "Yes, of course, I see it! Stop hitting me!" And for a little while longer, we're both standing there (virtually) contemplating this new little toy, and the possibilities. And then, we stroll away from that window and when we get to a street vendor we spend our last 25 cents for some strawberry icecream, without even thinking about that we should have rather put away that money to eventually being able to purchase that item, because in the end, we knew exactly that the money was better spend on that icecream.
K.

Good lord.... I may sound like a letch here... but an attractive blonde with a gadget fetish, who is also a realist with a romantic streak! Don't tell my wife (or her husband) but I think I'm in love with Karina. :ppclove:

David

karinatwork
02-12-2004, 12:36 AM
:D

dmacburry2003
02-12-2004, 12:39 AM
What was this thread about again? :wink:

jbachandouris
02-12-2004, 11:13 AM
:oops:
no comment

dmy
02-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Heh.... soooorrrryyy..... didn't mean to short-circuit the topic like that.

:nonono: We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

:mrgreen: David.

gwinter
02-13-2004, 02:26 AM
I tried one of these out at a store. The button layout is not intuitive to me and it took longer than I'd liked for the hard disk to spin up, load the demo video file and start playback. The CF slot is at the top of the device. By the look of it, it seems that it was designed for temporary usage (i.e. plug card in, copy files, remove card) because the card will protrude out of the slot.

But ok, I just spent some minutes with it. So if you have a chance, try it out yourself.