View Full Version : Repeater Function

hoffm11
02-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Hi.. I have a SMC wireless router and just bought a US Robotics 2249 AP and I want to be able to transmit a better signal in the basement of my house. How would you go about doing this? Have you used the repeater function?

Thanks!

dochall
02-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi.. I have a SMC wireless router and just bought a US Robotics 2249 AP and I want to be able to transmit a better signal in the basement of my house. How would you go about doing this? Have you used the repeater function?

Thanks!

As you have lots of views but no replies.

The functionality you looking for is WDS (assuming that you are extend the range of you're wifi clients.). Have a look at this article (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Sections-article16.php) which goes into this in some detail. Good site for all things wifi.

The bad news is the support for WDS is very limited on lower end kit. The Buffalo 11g kit has it but very little else. This was one my main reasons for buying it.

Having a quick look at the USR website it would appear that the 2249 doesn't support WDS but does support wireless bridging of ethernet wired networks. I have never understood why WDS is so uncommon as I would have thought it was something that lots of people want to do.

Keith Layton
02-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Although I do not know about your specific AP, you may have other options...

First and Free: try relocating the AP to another point in the house, or even in the room. Sometimes the signal can get interference from it's placement. If it is a device with an internal antenna, possibly try different orientations of the AP like on it's side so that the signal will have a different pattern.

Second and not so free: try a different antenna. This might be a purchased antenna or possibly a fabricated antenna (DIY). There are plenty of instructions on the web on how to make them and places you can purchase them from. The big issue here is can you attach the antenna without some "creative" wiring. I know my Linksys has dual antennas with BNC connectors allowing easy connection to a different one.

Hope this helps.

keith