View Full Version : p.i.e.: page not found?

Canuck
02-03-2004, 05:21 AM
Just looking for some advice... For about a year I have been surfing fine using my 2215 and my nokia 6310 on the rogers network here in Toronto. For the last few weeks though, I've been having the following problem. I log on the the internet using the connection manager, everything looks fine, but when I try to go to a page (any page at all) it tries and tries and times out 'page not found'. I've tried all over the city at different times, and it has worked only once in four weeks. I've tried soft-resets, deleting the cookies, deleting the cache, and deleting all temp files.

My text step was to bug my wireless provider, though connecting doesn't seem to be the problem. Has anyone had this problem?

- Canuck

pacemkr
02-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Browse to the windows directory of you device using file explorer and run welcome.exe. Go through the steps of aligning the screen etc. Now start PIE and it should work.

I tried everything in the world (howardforums included) untill one day I asked in this forum and withing an hour got a response from Steven Cedrone with this solution. It worked. I love this place. :D

Canuck
02-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the tip, though unfortunately that doesn't seem to help. I still haven't talked to the provider, and lastly I haven't tried a hard reset. If anyone else has any suggestions...

pacemkr
02-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Oh, sorry I missed when you said that it times out. Mine was just giving me a page not found error without even trying to connect. Did you try searching around howardforums.com? If the problem is related to your carrier or phone, you are more likely to find the answer there.

Steven Cedrone
02-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Pacemkr,

DNS problems maybe?

Here is a way to narrow it down: get the IP address of a website and try connecting to the site while connected to the Rogers network. This really sounds like a DNS problem more than anything else.

Steve

pacemkr
02-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Just curious, DNS error is not pocket pc related is it? My limited knowledge of it is the fact that it is used to translate between domain names and IP addresses. So it has to be built around some central system right? And how would you go about finding an IP address of a website? Google for example.

pacemkr
02-05-2004, 05:24 AM
Just got an idea of how to find the IP and it seems to work.

From command prompt in XP "tracert www.google.com"

I tested the IP and it works. 216.239.41.104 for Google.

Steven Cedrone
02-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Canuck,

If you try this using the IP address and you are successful: The next step would be to find out what the DNS servers addresses are for your ISP. Then to manually set up your connection settings to see if it solves your problem.

Steve

ppc4me
02-05-2004, 06:28 PM
I use a static IP address on my home W-Fi network and I can do everything I need to - Internet, AS, DL e-mail, etc.. I also have static entries for the WINS and the DNS (192.168.x.x.) local IP set up.

When I roam to some places with other Pay or free networks I can connect as well but there are some networks that I can connect to but can not get a PIE web page to display.

I have tried leaving things the way they are and also changing to DHCP configuration (Use server assigned IP) - soft resetting, etc... but still can not get an internet web page to load - Since I get the connection, doesn't that mean that they are open? When I connect to the network in question, it does NOT prompt me to enter a WEP key and I get the connect indication.

When I change to server assigned, do I need to go into Name Servers tab and remove my DNS and WINS addresses? On the name server tab it says "name server addresses may be automatically assigned if DHCP is enabled on this adapter" I take that to mean that I don't need to change anything if I enable DHCP - Am I wrong in my assumption here?

Also, when I do connect to some networks, I don't have to change a thing - does that mean that it is accepting my static IP setting?

Is there a way to have the ppc settings remember the static ip so that I don't have to keep putting it back after I change things?

I'm not even 100% sure I need the static ip @ home - I guess I should experiment some more.

Any info - appreciated. Thanks all!

Canuck
02-05-2004, 10:05 PM
I appreciate everyone's help, unfortunately it still is not working. I've tried going directly to the IP addresses, but that does the same thing (i.e. times out and says web page can't be found). The bluetooth Connection Status in the Bluetooth manager shows the connections, and packets being sent, but none being received. Needless to say, when I'm docked p.i.e. works fine.

I've contacted Rogers and other than repeating the settings, they won't troubleshoot because I didn't buy the Portage software (understandable).

I'm now trying to just use the phone to do wap surfing, and it doesn't seem to connect at all. The phone they will support, so I'll be back soon to post on how that works. It leads me to wonder since my phone won't get a connection, why did my ipaq say that it did? Also, though I don't have wifi, this problem does not seem that dis-similar from the one Jason commented on yesterday.

Thanks for the help.

pacemkr
02-06-2004, 05:22 AM
...It leads me to wonder since my phone won't get a connection, why did my ipaq say that it did?...

The iPAQ probably checks if its connected to the phone (modem as the ipaq sees it). I believe there is no way for the ppc to check if the modem actually connected to the network, because it has to deal with the modems software in that case.

Otherwise, I am almost certainly sure its a problem with the phone. If you cant do simple WAP on the phone, there is no way for your ppc to use the phone as a modem, obviously.

Canuck
02-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Well serves me right for blaming the software first. Talked to Rogers and got it all working. I don't know if it was on their side, or I also had to remove the phone battery and sim and put it all back together again so maybe that was all it. (Feel kind of stupid actually, should have talked to them first).

Thanks all for your help.