View Full Version : SD or MMC? Facts on both.....

CMUwaterman
02-02-2004, 07:46 PM
I have a IPAQ 4150 as need some additional storage. I have read MMC cards can be used in secure digital slots. Is this true? I have also heard MMC cards are much faster than SD cards. I will be using the card to store movies and roms and want something that can perform. Is MMC the way to go for me?

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 07:56 PM
I have a IPAQ 4150 as need some additional storage. I have read MMC cards can be used in secure digital slots. Is this true? I have also heard MMC cards are much fater than CD cards. I will be using the card to store movies and roms and want something that can perform. Is MMC the way to go for me?

First off, the 4150 doesn't have a CF slot, which I think is what you were talking about.

SD slots will read MMCs (SD is just another layer on top of the MMC format). Keep in mind that (in SD anyway), < 256MB is slower than >= 256MB. I'm not sure about how the speed compares to CF, but I wouldn't worry about it, really. If you want movies & roms, I'd suggest a 256+MB SD card. You'd want the room anyway.

CMUwaterman
02-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Kati Compton: I have said nothing about CF cards in my entire post. Where you got that idea I do not know. You answered none of my questions and your post was useless. Anyone that knows what they are talking about please feel free to respond.

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Kati Compton: I have said nothing about CF cards in my entire post. Where you got that idea I do not know. You answered none of my questions and your post was useless. Anyone that knows what they are talking about please feel free to respond.

I am sure she was confused by the "CD" that you now fixed in your original post. It was a little confusing! And I think she went about answering your question, so the post was not useless.

It's not nice to attack one of the most helpful people on this board. Not to mention the fact that she also works here! :roll:

Steven Cedrone
The Other Community Moderator

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Kati Compton: I have said nothing about CF cards in my entire post. Where you got that idea I do not know.
Oh? Well, you did edit your posts after I replied. And you mentioned something about "CD cards". I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you meant "CF cards", instead of you wanting to somehow cram a CD into a PDA. You can see your original post quoted in mine above, in fact. It turns out that your typo was intended to be "SD" not "CF", each option being one letter wrong. But it's pretty unreasonable to get so worked up over a mis-guessed typo.

You answered none of my questions and your post was useless. Anyone that knows what they are talking about please feel free to respond.
I'm sure with your wonderful charm people will now be DYING to answer your questions. Good way to make people interested in helping you.

Since you're new, I'll help you out with another problem you're having, one that you didn't state in your original post.

1. Generally people respond better if you stay polite, and don't insult other responses. Especially on this board.

2. It is bad form, and generally not in your best interests, to be mean to the administrators of this forum (such as myself).

Now, perhaps you didn't intend to sound quite so harsh in your response. If that is the case, then there is no problem here.

matadams
02-02-2004, 10:21 PM

Umm, CMUwaterman, Kati was trying to make sense of your post, and she did answer some of your questions . .. . you need to re-read your own post. You switched from MMC and SD cards to CD cards (see your post below - where you mention that MMC cards are much fater than CD cards :roll: ). That's when I, too, thought that you must have meant CF cards . . . . Kati told you that MMC cards can be used in SD slots and she told you about the speed of SD cards (something that I did not know).

(I have a IPAQ 4150 as need some additional storage. I have read MMC cards can be used in secure digital slots. Is this true? I have also heard MMC cards are much fater than CD cards. I will be using the card to store movies and roms and want something that can perform. Is MMC the way to go for me?)

MaTadams

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Okay, I think there's been enough hammering on CMUwaterman. Remember, he/she may not have intended to sound that way. Text can be a difficult medium.

CMUwaterman
02-02-2004, 10:28 PM
I made the assumption most of you could read. I was wrong. In the beginning of my post I said I had a SD Slot. Putting 2 and 2 together you could figure out "CD" meant "SD". I should have stayed at Brighthand.com. Sigh.......

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 10:30 PM
I made the assumption most of you could read. I was wrong. In the beginning of my post I said I had a SD Slot. Putting 2 and 2 together you could figure out "CD" meant "SD".
Actually, you just said you had a 4150. Not all newbies know what slots their devices have, and what that means. We try to answer nicely just in case.

Of course, you're making the assumption that we can read, when you can't type...

I should have stayed at Brighthand.com. Sigh.......
Then happy trails to you...

You don't need us, and we don't need your attitude.

JA
02-02-2004, 10:32 PM
I made the assumption most of you could read. I was wrong. In the beginning of my post I said I had a SD Slot. Putting 2 and 2 together you could figure out "CD" meant "SD". I should have stayed at Brighthand.com. Sigh.......

You are a very nice person, I'm sure the members at Brighthand will love having you back! Well, all I can say is "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!" c'ya JA

famousdavis
02-02-2004, 11:22 PM
8O

Let's hope Brighthand continues to thrive among the weeds.

8O

Kati -- Does your vocation have anything to do with teaching anger management skills? I don't know how you couldn't have popped a blood vessel reading such a vitrolic post from a "Neophyte." The Mystic Egg rocks! :rock on dude!:

Kati Compton
02-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Kati -- Does your vocation have anything to do with teaching anger management skills? I don't know how you couldn't have popped a blood vessel reading such a vitrolic post from a "Neophyte." The Mystic Egg rocks! :rock on dude!:
Oh, let's be honest - I was a little snippy.

But like I said in my post, I try to keep in mind that sometimes it's easy to write something that's misinterpreted. Language barriers can also be a problem. Or just not realizing that the words on the page are actual people, typing a response. ;)

Of course, once it's clear that someone is just completely uninterested in being polite and maintaining an appropriate attitude... :twisted:

;)

shawnc
02-03-2004, 01:45 AM

Damn, I'm sure going to miss you CMUwaterman. OK, bye bye now. :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi:

shawnc
02-03-2004, 03:04 AM
8O

Let's hope Brighthand continues to thrive among the weeds.

8O

Oh I think he'll fit right in over at Brighthand. I don't mean to take a cheap shot, but I remember about a month ago I took a short-lived foray over there (I guess the excitement of my new 4150 got the better of me). I was absolutely AMAZED at how a very few senior members (based on post count) berated any and every one who simply MENTIONED the yellow-screen issue with the 4150's. Members were not allowed to discuss it. It was incredible. I kept waiting for the moderator(s) to step in, but it never happened.

Suffice it to say I have removed Brighthand from the list of sites I visit. I think CMUWaterman likely fits in over there just fine.

buckyg
02-03-2004, 03:52 AM
Yeah, I had the same kind of bad experience over at Brighthand too. That's why I enjoy it over here.

Thanks to Kati and all the other folks who keep this THE place to go for the PPC!

Kowalski
02-04-2004, 04:47 PM
people like waterman come and go sometimes. dont let them to make you anger.
knowledge grows as long as we share

Dave Potter
02-04-2004, 10:02 PM

I am absolutely dumbfounded at the utter ignorance of this post. I'd bet my house that you don't have many friends - or a girlfriend/boyfriend for that matter.

If your only interested in insulting people and being abrasive - then maybe Brighthand is a better place for you.

Just curious - was your response so charming because Kati is a woman - or are you an equal opportunity a$$hole??

Steven Cedrone
02-04-2004, 10:18 PM
I would love to keep this thread unlocked to give CMUwaterman a chance to come back and apologize. Let's just walk away from this one until he/she has the opportunity to do so...

Steve

dmacburry2003
02-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Sorry Steve, had to help without his/her (forgot about that) apology (recent experience).

I don't care if waterman don't like it but its just my 2 cents.

MMC and SD are the SAME except that SD is a bit more secure... not really. If you want speed I would suggest that you buy an expensive high-speed 10 MBps SD card (assuming Pocket PC's can handle that, of course). Or if you want REALLY fast speed you can go to Pocket PC Techs to see if they offer you a 128 MB ram upgrade (last time I checked it said that upgraded ram is fifty million times faster).

Hope that helpz.

Edit: after really reading this thread in-depth, my eyes are starting to bubble and frubble up into my head again :wink: