View Full Version : iPAQ 5555 Dead, HELP

ntractv
02-02-2004, 03:39 PM
My 5555 will not turn on, will not soft reset nor hard reset. It will not charge. It is completely dead. I recently changed the standby time to the twelve hour option and it had not been in the cradle or used for about a day and a half. Does this sound like it needs be exchanged for a new unit at Best Buy and if so, does anyone know if my information would be completly erased if they or HP (if returned) gets the unit to function?

Chris Spera
02-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the main battery for a few seconds and then reattaching it, and THEN connecting it to AC power? Just a thought...

If this doesn't revive your 5555, then I would say yes, its dead.

If it won't take any power, then it is unlikely that any of your information has survived. However, if you copied any files to the iPAQ File Store, they are still there...

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things go.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

ntractv
02-02-2004, 04:01 PM
I did try unhooking the battery and left it off for about a half-hour. Nada, zippo. Well, good thing I bought that extended warranty from Best Buy.

Server
02-02-2004, 04:52 PM
This is an old issue with the 5000 series. When the unit
can't communicate with the battery the internal battery
will not start the trickle charge. The last know resolution
to this problem (as far as I recall) is to leave the battery
out for 2 days straight and reinstall the battery and charge
by cable only not cradle. Do not power on for 24 hours
before checking. If unit powers on then let it charge for
another day and re-calibrate the battery by going to the
standby screen and moving the slider to far right and then left.

Failing at that, try and test another battery from a
store (if possible)

good luck

ntractv
02-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Back up. I don't know what happened. I had taken the battery off I know at least 10 -15 times (the longest being a half-hour) and put it back on and nothing as mentioned in my earlier post. I had just read Server's post and was disheartened and was on the Best Buy website to see if the carried batteries. Can't find them on the site so just out of the blue I take the battery off again and put it back on and POOF. The thing boots up. Of course everything is wiped out, but, luckily I carry my sleeve around with a 64MB CF card that I use to back up everyday. Man, that was scary.

Thanks again for your responses.

Edit: Could having standby set for 12 hours and not charging by cradle or using the device for a day and a half have anything to do with it?

Server
02-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Back up. I don't know what happened.....put it back on and POOF. The thing boots up.

The 5000 series can easily lose communications with the battery
if you frequently pull or swap the batteries. You must re-calibrate
on every insertion or it will eventually cause another hard reset.

Edit: Could having standby set for 12 hours and not charging by cradle or using the device for a day and a half have anything to do with it?

I'd say yes.

Standby Settings:
Far left = more running time, less standby time
Far Right = More standby time, less running time

I use 24Hrs for my usage and never experienced
a problem.

ntractv
02-02-2004, 11:28 PM
That's where I put it back to. Never had a problem till I switched to the 12 hour option. Thinking maybe 36 might not be a bad idea.