View Full Version : Mail notification

WillyG
02-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Application: Mail (buildt in)
Time to ask for a bit help again.

I have always been under the impression that i would get a mail notification (notification-buble if im using another application), as long as the mail application was running in the background.
Untill now i have always used mobile phone & bluetooth to check my accounts when not in office, so this havent been much of a consern, since i usually dial up, click the button with two envelopes/send and recieve (in mail), waits for the mail, and then disconnect manually.
However with my new iPaq 4150 with wireless capabilites i prefer to start the mail application and press the connect button ("pda with hand under"-button in mail). I have always thought of this as an "online" button. When this toggle-button is pressed, the mail application checks for new mail every X-minutes. The mail from the exchange server here at work gets downloaded into my inbox, just as it should. The today screen gets updated with "Exchange: 3 undread messages" exactly as expected, but...
there is no notification buble telling me i got new mail...

Am i overlooking somthing? I remember i have seen it using one of POP3 accounts (but it seems to be like bingo there too), but when using IMAP, i have never seen it. Can someone confirm they got/does not get the notification buble "new mail" when working in other applications/stay on the today screen when new mail comes in? TIA

WillyG
02-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Anyone? :|

that_kid
02-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Try going into the mail account settings then into options and check the "connect and check for messages every x minutes", with ppc 2003 you don't have to open pocket outlook and tell it to get online. It will actually do it own it's own with this option set, not only that it will also wake the device and get the mail, that should get the indicator to work. I hve my ipaq set to connect to exchange every 1/2 hour to get my msgs and sync my contacts and such and I always get the notification.

WillyG
02-04-2004, 02:08 PM
I knew this should be working (as i havent heard others complain about it).
Thanx Eric, you are absolutely right. It works.

Guess my test procedure wasn't good enough. What I did, was to open the mail application on the ppc, while on my pc i sendt a mail to myself, then quickly pressing the "online" button on the ppc and swiching to another application :lol: . Since i got no notification i assumed it didnt work.