View Full Version : So, who's NOT watching the Superbowl tonight?

Janak Parekh
02-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Count me in. Of the four "big" major league-sports here, I'm most interested in baseball and basketball, but have zero interest in the NFL. The fact that the local teams here suck and that the Superbowl strikes me more as spectacle than sport don't help either. ;) Instead, I'm in my office working away...

How about anyone else in the US? Or am I the only one? ;)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 01:42 AM
So who's watching the superbowl and PocketPCThoughts at the same time? :wink:

I'm actually enjoying the SB, my team is out (Giants) and I am just having a great time eating Hot Dogs and junk food with the kids! I am pulling for the Panthers though! Any team that can go from 1-15 to the "Big Game" in two years is worthy of some support!

Uh oh, the Panthers just fumbled on the 20...

Steve

foldedspace
02-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Supposed to be...as soon as my clothes get out of the wash...Bah!

Pas tres bien!

Kevin Remhof
02-02-2004, 01:50 AM

I'm actually enjoying the SB, my team is out (Giants)

I'm in the same boat. I'm proudly wearing my Cleveland Browns sweatshirt and getting ready for some tasty snacks. I'm using my PVR to record the game so I can go back and watch the commercials.

God bless Madison Avenue!

karinatwork
02-02-2004, 01:50 AM
I'm watching it, but only because my husband is, and of course, because of the commercials :wink:

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm watching it, but only because my husband is, and of course, because of the commercials :wink:

None worth mentioning yet! :? Well, I liked the FEDEX Alien one! :wink:

Steve

GoldKey
02-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Not watching here. For the most part, don't like sports. Instead watching Stargate Season 5 DVD's.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Not watching here. For the most part, don't like sports. Instead watching Stargate Season 5 DVD's.

Ditto. I'm a geek, not a jock. :lol:

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 02:03 AM
It's on the TV, and I'm in the living room. But I've got wireless on my laptop. ;)

dh
02-02-2004, 02:34 AM
So here we are at half time. Who was that woman who murdered the National Anthem What's wrong with the proper tune?

The game is not too good so far - but then I'm an Eagles fan. The commercials are not very good and the half time show is terrible. I would have thought that CBS and the NFL could afford a couple of decent acts. I appreciate you can't have U2 every year, but they must be able to do better than this bunch. I'd just as soon see Dan, Boomer and Co for five minutes and get on with the game.

Good job we have PPCT. :D Anyway, it's time for a beer. :drinking:

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 02:35 AM
I've never really been a fan of the halftime shows...

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 02:37 AM
So here we are at half time. Who was that woman who murdered the National Anthem What's wrong with the proper tune?

She didn't do too bad a job (IMHO)!

The game is not too good so far - but then I'm an Eagles fan. The commercials are not very good and the half time show is terrible. I would have thought that CBS and the NFL could afford a couple of decent acts. I appreciate you can't have U2 every year, but they must be able to do better than this bunch. I'd just as soon see Dan, Boomer and Co for five minutes and get on with the game.

Agreed, the half time show was horrible!

Good job we have PPCT. :D Anyway, it's time for a beer. :drinking:

I think I'll join ya' :wink:

Steve

Enderet
02-02-2004, 02:38 AM
Uh... did Janets boob just pop out?

dh
02-02-2004, 02:39 AM
The U2 one where they projected the names of all the 9/11 people to "Where the streets have no name" was good. In general you're quite right, they are always over the top and really crass.

My Thinkpad and I have retired to another room while my wife and daughter watch the show. Of course they think I'm a miserable old git.

baker
02-02-2004, 02:40 AM
NE 14 Carolina 10. I'm not much on half time shows.

Enderet
02-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Did my eyes play a trick on me or what? Cmon somebody answer...

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 02:43 AM
Did my eyes play a trick on me or what? Cmon somebody answer...

Sorry, after Kidd Rock, I walked away!

Steve

Sunnyone
02-02-2004, 02:49 AM
I knew that someone here would have caught it! Yes, I saw it pop out, but it looked like Justin helped a little. My son's face turned bright red. He's only 12 so he thought it was "gross."

Enderet
02-02-2004, 02:50 AM
:oops: Hahaha I was watching the half time show with my girl friend, and I was on the PC when I heard her yell. I quickly turned and only saw it for a glimpse. We both couldnt believe it.

dean_shan
02-02-2004, 02:51 AM

Oh the wonders of WiFi.

Kevin Remhof
02-02-2004, 02:59 AM
I knew that someone here would have caught it! Yes, I saw it pop out, but it looked like Justin helped a little. My son's face turned bright red. He's only 12 so he thought it was "gross."

OK, I just rewound my PVR to see this. Here's what happened. Justin pulled off a piece of fabric from her outfit and her right one popped out. But, there was a silver star (aka pasties) on it.

What was with that?!!? It definitely looked like it was supposed to happen. It was not an accident, it was staged.

karinatwork
02-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Other than that NFL commercial where the players who didn't make it sing a song from the musical "Annie" (Tomorrow), I didn't like any of them either. Hmm, maybe the one with the horse fart. :wink: My hubby's taste in jokes must be rubbing off...

Enderet
02-02-2004, 03:04 AM
You sure that that "silver star" wasnt one of her famous piercings? Hah. :oops:

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 03:08 AM
I bet he turned red just because you were in the room. ;) Somehow I doubt a 12-year-old boy would think a boob would be "gross".

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 03:10 AM
You know, the commercials seem really weak this year. A pretty strong indicator that the economy still has a lot of recovering to do, I think.

Kevin C. Tofel
02-02-2004, 03:11 AM
One other interesting observation........roughly 25% of the commercials were filmed in HD...first time I've noticed that.....most of the time, the game is in HD and the commercials are in SD.

And yes, before someone asks....Janet's pastie was in HD also.... :roll:

Go Panthers!
KCT

Sunnyone
02-02-2004, 03:12 AM
What was with that?!!? It definitely looked like it was supposed to happen. It was not an accident, it was staged.
I thought that was what happened as well, but I didn't have the benefit of PVR to check. It happened pretty quickly. Controversy makes headlines, I guess.

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 03:13 AM
You know, the commercials seem really weak this year. A pretty strong indicator that the economy still has a lot of recovering to do, I think.

Sometimes a cigar...

Maybe they're weak because the advertisers are lame? :wink:

Steve

dean_shan
02-02-2004, 03:14 AM
I bet he turned red just because you were in the room. ;) Somehow I doubt a 12-year-old boy would think a boob would be "gross".

:rofl:

So how I missed that part. The show was so bad that I just burried my head in my laptop and went here.

Sunnyone
02-02-2004, 03:17 AM
I bet he turned red just because you were in the room. ;) Somehow I doubt a 12-year-old boy would think a boob would be "gross". You're probably right - both my husband and daughter were in the room along with Grandma. But he'll probably have fun talking about it in school tomorrow! :lol:

tourdewolf
02-02-2004, 03:31 AM
I was watching it on my tivo and it sure looked like a piercing.

My 4 year old son asked me why did that that guy pull her her shirt off? Go CBS! Nothing like FAMILIY ENTERTAINMENT like a FOOTBALL GAME! :evil:

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Good thing they decided to not air any "controversial" commercials! They're really looking out for family values... Sigh.

Well, I missed it anyway, as I'd flipped over to TNT to watch the Charmed boobs and belly-buttons instead.

famousdavis
02-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi gang!

Just got back from Grandma and Grandpa's house so we could tuck our 4 little kiddies into bed. We don't own a TV, and after watching just the first half of the football game, and the first 2 or 3 minutes of the Janet Jackson show, I am (again, and again, and again) reminded of why we have forsaken TV in our house. My 7-year-old called the dancing "disrespectul" -- which I later helped to redefine as as "immodest", although now that I think about it, it certainly disrespected a Sunday evening "family" time slot, didn't it? My son was more right than I realized... :?

Full disclosure: We do own a 19" TV that our kids use on the weekend to watch a few parent-approved videos. 8)

Sunnyone
02-02-2004, 03:48 AM
I'm betting that CBS didn't know. It looked like it could have been a stunt by the "performers." I doubt that it would have been passed by the CBS censors. At least I'm hoping that is the case. Especially since CBS made a big deal about which commercials they would and wouldn't allow.

Kevin C. Tofel
02-02-2004, 03:51 AM
What blown coverage by the Pats....way to go Panthers!!!!

KCT

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 03:53 AM
I'm not a big follower of the NFL, but wasn't this supposed to be a cake walk for NE? They're down by 1 right now. 8O

famousdavis
02-02-2004, 03:53 AM
I'm betting that CBS didn't know. It looked like it could have been a stunt by the "performers." I doubt that it would have been passed by the CBS censors. At least I'm hoping that is the case. Especially since CBS made a big deal about which commercials they would and wouldn't allow.

If this were Super Bowl XVIII, I <u>would</u> agree with you, if it were XXVIII I <u>might</u> agree with you, but it's XXXVIII. Imagine when XLVIII rolls around.... :oops:

Enderet
02-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Wow ho ho... this is getting really interesting....

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 04:07 AM
So will 2 failed two-point converts come back to haunt Carolina?

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 04:18 AM
This is really a good game! i am enjoying it!

Steve

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 04:19 AM

Steve

Same here. I don't remember a close game like this in a while (not that I watch every year though...).

Sunnyone
02-02-2004, 04:22 AM
Steve
Yep. I like 'em when they're close. And I always end up cheering for the underdog.

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Yep. I like 'em when they're close. And I always end up cheering for the underdog.

I'm the same way (on both counts).

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 04:27 AM
Patriots Win!

Sunnyone
02-02-2004, 04:28 AM

Then I guess we'll both be disappointed! :(

Enderet
02-02-2004, 04:30 AM
Good game... its the first time i watch a Super bowl hahah

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 04:33 AM

Then I guess we'll both be disappointed! :(

Yup. :(

Good drama though. Nine seconds left...a field goal will win it. The field goal kicker has missed two already tonight. He's 31/35 in indoor arenas. All four misses were in Houston. Made for a good "sports moment."

Now we have to wait for all the post-game crap. :evil:

I want Survivor: All Stars!!! 8)

Sunnyone
02-02-2004, 04:38 AM
I want Survivor: All Stars!!! 8) I was planning on hanging around for at least some of that. Hopefully the postgame stuff won't take too long. :wink:

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 04:40 AM
I want Survivor: All Stars!!! 8) I was planning on hanging around for at least some of that. Hopefully the postgame stuff won't take too long. :wink:

I've enjoyed a couple of the Survivors, and thoughts others were terribly boring. This one I'm really looking forward to though, I must admit.

Also, the rumour is that this is the last one. That's a little hard to believe though considering the ad rates it demands. On the other hand, it wouldn't totally surprise me if Mark Burnett called it quits while on top.

dean_shan
02-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Now we have to wait for all the post-game crap. :evil:

I want Survivor: All Stars!!! 8)

My thoughts exactly.

acronym
02-02-2004, 04:51 AM
last time I checked, horns were blowing all over town when survivor finished.

/patriots fan

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2004, 04:52 AM
Mark Burnett...

The best thing he has ever done is the Eco-Challenge, the surviver stuff doesn't interest me in the least. I wish they whould expand the coverage of the E-C though, as it is now, it's a few nights on USA network...

Steve

BTW, great game! I like it when it comes down to the last few seconds...

dh
02-02-2004, 05:36 AM
To be sure the second half more than made up for the first. Both teams ended up playing well.

How long 'til Spring Training?? :D

Jeff Rutledge
02-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Mark Burnett...

The best thing he has ever done is the Eco-Challenge, the surviver stuff doesn't interest me in the least. I wish they whould expand the coverage of the E-C though, as it is now, it's a few nights on USA network...

Steve

BTW, great game! I like it when it comes down to the last few seconds...

I agree that Eco Challenge is outstanding. But I also like Survivor. Not all of them (some were painful). I also am really liking The Apprentice.

Comparing Survivor to Eco Challenge is like comparing 60 Minutes to A Current Affair though. Each has it's place and it's always the wrong one that gets all the ratings. ;)

ux4484
02-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Janak,

Not only did NOT watch the Game, but did not find out who even won until this morning.

I got my Baseball hopes up for Chicago and Boston last fall, but I think I'll just go back to my sports-bigot ways (though, I never refuse a trip to see a baseball game live).

buckyg
02-02-2004, 05:04 PM
That was a good game, IMHO. I just wish I could've skipped all of the non-game junk that came with it. Yeah, I know, the hype of the non-game stuff adds to ratings. Normally, I'd be at least partly interested in the commercials and the half-time, but this year: Yuck!

Okay, a couple of the commercials made me chuckle...

PetiteFlower
02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Nothing like the Big Game to get all the idiots off the highway....especially the truckers. The turnpike was practically a joy! The only thing that made it not was my CD changer dying on me an hour into my 4.5 hour drive, so I had to suffer through radio surfing the rest of the way, really was a downer.

But hey this even beat the time I did my laundry during the Super Bowl--I was living in the dorms at the time and it was the only time all year I didn't have to wait for machines :)

disconnected
02-03-2004, 03:26 AM
I loved the Eco-Challenge at the beginning. The later ones got to be more about melodrama than adventure-racing, unfortunately. I figured that was practice for Survivor, which I've never watched.

Enjoyed the game, although I lost out on winning an office pool of a hundred dollars because the Pats didn't win by enough. The commercials mostly seemed tacky; I did like the one with Jimmy Jones and Bill Parcells singing Tomorrow though.