View Full Version : ListPro Integrity

Oreocat
02-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Sorry to rant but this really upset me.

When I bought my Axim last year, one of the first programs I tried was ListPro. I liked it and planned on buying it. However, since they had an offer of a free program if they accepted a list you sent in, I sent in a family medication list.

We'd recently had my mother in the hospital, and I hadn't been able to answer the doctor's questions as to what medications she was currently taking. So I put one together, using a generic mom, dad, baby, etc, but using several of the medications and doses we were currently taking.

I recieved an email several days later saying it wasn't an appropriate
list. Considering they had accepted lists for tv episode lists, I thought this was pretty short sighted, but said ok, and paid for ListPro once my trial was up.

I hadn't been to their site in awhile, but the recent discussion of their update had me curious about a recipe listing. While searching through several catagories for one, guess what I found?

My family rx list that they *had* taken and used. What integrity they show in saying my list wasn't good enough, and then using it anyway. Considering they did this to me, it makes me wonder how many other people they may have cheated.

I sent them an email, but I don't expect a reply. Since they obviously have no problem with using something when they said they wouldn't, I'm going to assume they have no problem ignoring this fact when it's pointed out to them.

One this is for sure, I won't be upgrading and using ListPro again. I'm going to find another company that hopefully has more respect for it's customers, and more integrity.

Rob Alexander
02-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Unless the company has changed drastically in the past year, I suspect you will find they'll make good on their offer once you get someone's attention. I've found Ilium to be very responsive and very quick to solve a problem by always giving the customer the benefit.

I once wrote them asking about whether I owed for one upgrade or two on new versions of ListPro and eWallet. It was complicated in that I had bought them both earlier (a couple of versions), then gotten them free with my iPaq plus there was one other little twist in that one of my earlier versions was a free one from a list submission like what you did. They responded by sending me both upgrades at no charge, saying that they appreciated my continuing business. I was only asking whether I owed them one fee or two, but they came back saying none. This just doesn't sound like a company that's out to rip people off intentionally.

Here's what I'd do. Decide what you'd like them to do. That is, do you want your money back for ListPro or would you be happy with a free copy of eWallet or another app? Then go to their contact page (http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ilium/contact.htm) where you'll find their toll-free number. Give them a call tomorrow and explain the situation. There's no need to be angry or indignant. These guys really aren't crooks; they just screwed up. Assume that they'll make it right, tell them how to do that, and they will.

dhettel
02-01-2004, 09:35 PM
For what it maybe worth I would also try Rob Alexander suggestions, my experience with IlliumSoftware have been much like Rob Alexander. Mistakes do happen, as much as we would like for them not to happen. Clearly this is not the normal way they conduct business.

Oreocat
02-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try that tomorrow.

I've never heard anything bad about ListPro, and I've never had a problem other than this, so this sort of shocked me as well as made me mad.

I really like ListPro, but...I'll see what happens.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Andy Whiteford
02-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm also a big fan of Ilium Soft and find this a little irregular in their standards. Please keep us informed in how you get on. My guess (hope) there is a genuine misunderstanding here.

Ilium Software
02-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi,

I've responded to Oreocat. S/he was very angry in the message sent to us and I did my best to explain. For reference, our policy is, and has been, that templates such as the one Oreocat sent, are not eligible for prizes. Back in January of 2003, at the time of Oreocat's submission I let him/her know that:

While I would be happy to include the list, unfortunately, as per the instructions on the site, we cannot accept templates at this time. We do appreciate the submission however.

When I received no response I assumed that the answer was yes. That was my mistake. Clearly Oreocat was not comfortable with the posting of the template without compensation. The template will be removed within the next hour. I do aplogize for making an improper assumption.

What Oreocat did point out however, was that we DO say if the list is posted we will give you a prize. We will certainly word this differently to avoid confusion but as is our policy, I've agreed to stand by the letter of the webpage.

Finally, a comment on why we have a template policy for future list submitters. There are many users who spend hours and hours producing huge lists detailing every episode of their favorite television shows, vivid descriptions of types of plants, and other in depth lists. While templates are very useful, we think it would be unfair to judge a template against a 300 item list with full details. That is why we may still post a good template but just can't award a prize for it.

Oh...and if you ever have a problem, let us know. We're all used to being ignored by software companies so it is easy to assume the worst. Just drop us a friendly email however and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Sincerely,

Marc Tassin
Ilium Software
--------------------
[email protected]
+1 (734) 973-9388
---------------------
http://www.iliumsoft.com

Kati Compton
02-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks for responding here!