View Full Version : Question concerning XP Media Center Edition

aroma
02-01-2004, 06:25 AM
Is it possible to build your own Media Center PC with a copy of XP Media Center Edition? Can you take advantage of the software's features using hardware such as ATI's AIW cards? Or is there special hardware/software integration that can only be done by OEMs?

- Aaron

Falstaff
02-01-2004, 06:42 AM
I believe I read that the OS is only being distributed with Media Center PCs. Here (http://www.vwbinc.com/) is an interesting device, though it appears to be delayed (but it was at CES). It is a media center unit running a modded version of Linux. It looks very promising, I'd love to have one of those devices at each TV in my house all wired to a central server so I could play any recorded program (or DVD ripped and stored on the server's HD) on any TV.

aroma
02-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Actually it is also distributed with my MSDN subscription. I'm just curious if one could take advantage of its features by installing it on a machine with appropriate hardware, or if there is a lot of integration that takes place at the OEM.

- Aaron

Steven Cedrone
02-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Actually it is also distributed with my MSDN subscription. I'm just curious if one could take advantage of its features by installing it on a machine with appropriate hardware, or if there is a lot of integration that takes place at the OEM.

Since you have a copy, I would try it. The reason it is not a package that can be purchased seperatly is that (and I think you hit the nail on the head) there is alot of driver tweaking/integration done by the various OEM's. The one problem you would have is the missing "Remote"? (You don't get that with your MSDN subscription do you?)

Steve

aroma
02-01-2004, 02:54 PM
The one problem you would have is the missing "Remote"? (You don't get that with your MSDN subscription do you?)

Nope, but my ATI card did come with a very nice RF remote (instead of the standard IR) that I was hopping might drive many of the features. (The remote, as a last resort, can at least be used as a mouse.

Kevin C. Tofel
02-01-2004, 03:27 PM
If you end up installing the OS, can you let us know how you made out...also what hardware specs are on your supporting system...

I find this very interesting since there was so much hype when Media Center initially came out.....OEM's had special certified systems for the OS use. I realize that the OS will require more stringent specs, but Microsoft made it sound like you need "super'puter" power....

Thanks!
KCT

foldedspace
02-01-2004, 03:52 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=32522&Sku=S167-3196

Maybe you could slap it onto one of these? ;)