View Full Version : Ideal PPC Setup for Studying Abroad?

aar0n
01-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm going to be spending the Fall 2004 semester studying abroad in Seville, Spain. While I own a notebook computer, I'm not too thrilled at the idea of lugging it around everywhere I go (excursions, etc.) just so I can stay connected. In addition, a Spanish family will be hosting me this Fall. It is more than likely, due to Spanish social customs, this family will not have Internet access in their home. So I will have to rely on Internet cafes and the university campus for access to the web. My question is this, what would be the ideal PPC to take on an extended trip overseas as a notebook replacement? What accessories would you suggest to go along with it?

I would think that integrated WiFi would be a must, but aside from that I'm drawing blanks.

I would appreciate any help suggestions!

suhit
01-30-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm going to be spending the Fall 2004 semester studying abroad in Seville, Spain. While I own a notebook computer, I'm not too thrilled at the idea of lugging it around everywhere I go (excursions, etc.) just so I can stay connected. In addition, a Spanish family will be hosting me this Fall. It is more than likely, due to Spanish social customs, this family will not have Internet access in their home. So I will have to rely on Internet cafes and the university campus for access to the web. My question is this, what would be the ideal PPC to take on an extended trip overseas as a notebook replacement? What accessories would you suggest to go along with it?

I am guessing that you will also get a cell phone while you travel. If your cell phone is bluetooth capable, then you can perhaps surf the web using your PPC. THerefore, make sure that you get one that has it integrated as well.

Plus, integrated SD/CF slot and (separately) a large SD card or CF card that you can swap in and out of your digital camera (if you have one) so that you can perhaps view your pictures. Spb Software House has a couple of nice pieces of software to view images.

Finally, the Toshiba e800 seems like a nice choice since it has the 640X480 display. Therefore, if you pull up any maps while you travel, you not only get to see a lot more of them but also at a high resolution.

I can think of tons more stuff (GPS, cool set of headphones and an adapter for the headphones if the PPC doesn't take standard headphones, etc. etc.) but I think this might be a start for you.

Suhit

mountainguy
01-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Hey aar0n,

I do some international traveling with my work, so congrats that you are thinking about this, this far in adavance, although it has been a couple of years since I have been to Spain. The first thing I would suggest is to continue looking and connecting with someone who actually lives in Seville and who is techno savy. My hunch is that you are going to find that the system is probably a little bit different than you are used to at TT. Unless you are going to be in a strict university setting, I do not think you will find as many WI-FI locales as you might be thinking. Again, it is something important to check out.

I think that you need to decide what you need the machine for. If it is just to stay connected and keep in touch with the fam and friends back in the USA, then all the internet cafes will be just fine and you don't need any device. If you are going to use it in your studies, in your travels and on weekends, by all means take a PPC with a couple of good SD/CF cards. Two years ago, a buddy and I walked thru the Lake District for 10 days, about 110 miles. Everything we needed we had on my Ipaq and I used it for all the notes and reflections. We were really trying to travel light, but the Ipaq was essential. It was perfect and we did not need anything more than that.

Bon chance et bon voyage!!

JvanEkris
01-31-2004, 09:58 PM
I agree with previous authors. If you like to connect to family/friends using your Ipaq, it could be benificial to use a Cell-phone. Be aware though: most american Cell-phones do not work on the european network. You really need a tri-band GSM if you would like to use your phone in Spain and the VS.

Also be aware that it is virtually impossible to dial-in in the US from Europe using GSM. I tried it the other way around, and it did not work. A perhaps smarter way is to use a local pre-paid subscription and dial in on a local ISP.

Also be aware of the voltage used in Europe. Normally it is 220V. So think of that when looking at your adaptors that they can cope with that (the adaptors sold in europe can cope with both 220V an 110V).

A small trick could be to use a small SD-card adapter. I use a Sandisk Cruzer. It is very small, and plugs in every modern machine. However, some internet-cafe's do not accept these extensions, so it could be a little gamble.

Jaap