View Full Version : Search, Schmearch...

wing
01-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Have you ever had problems performing a SEARCH and then having the PPC crap-out on the search?

What causes this?

How can it be fixed?

This has happened to me from PPC through to PPC 2002.

I carry an encyclopedia of info with me and it just never seems to work when I need it to work. Other days, it is just fine.

This includes docs, notes, tasks, and contacts.

Frustrating, yes! Answers needed, yes! Hitting head on wall, definitely!

powder2000
01-30-2004, 04:11 PM
What ppc are you using? Do you have wireless of any sorts turned on when this is happening? Is there anything else running in the background that could possibley be causing the hickup? The reason I ask about wireless is that if you are not near an access point, it will tell you that a dhcp could not be assigned. Usually this popup will interupt whatever I am doing. Could something like this be the problem?

wing
01-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Toshiba e330 (no wifi)

i reset and turn off the other programs.

perhaps i just have too much data???

wing
02-05-2004, 10:50 PM
a lil help here???? (aka bump)

One thing i noticed is that i have more categories than do most.

30!!! 30 categories. perhaps this is what causes my poor lil pda to hiccup?

It happened on both this machine (Toshiba 2002) and my first pda (Casio PPC).

Please let me know if there is a reg mod or anything that may help prevent me from trashing my poor pda.

Ed Hansberry
02-06-2004, 04:22 AM
One thing i noticed is that i have more categories than do most.

30!!! 30 categories. perhaps this is what causes my poor lil pda to hiccup?
47 here, 35 of which are in use by Contacts. Never had a hang on searching since MS fixed a FIND bug in 1999 for the old Palm-sized PC. It could be bad data. Try moving all of your contacts to another Outlook folder and sync. Now search with no Contacts on the PPC. If that works, start syncing contacts back in small chunks and search after each sync. that'll help you narrow it down.

wing
02-07-2004, 04:14 AM
Yah! Thanks!

...to the misery of sorting through everything.

haha! well done.