View Full Version : Help organizing! NOTES or MS WORD or TEXT FILES?!?!?!?!

wing
01-30-2004, 09:55 AM
I create my own encylopedia of memoirs, definitions, health notes, etc.
all on my PPC...

BUT now i have a hodge podge of notes, scattered between Outlook SUBFOLDERS (NOTES) and file folders in My Document SUBFOLDERS (MS WORD & TEXT FILES).

Stop the insanity!

What would you recommend / use to organize your ideas and reference notes? What is the easiest method? What is the fastest method? There are some graphics in the MS Word docs too.

THANKS in advance for your support!

Stephen Beesley
01-30-2004, 10:01 AM
I know what you are talking about - I suffer from the same organisation problem. I have some notes etc that go back 7 years to my Newton days!

This is one reason that I am really hoping for a port of OneNote to the PPC. I am not holding my breath though :D

wing
01-30-2004, 09:45 PM
answers! we need answers!

:)

Between the yellow Notes, MS Word docs, and Txt files, which one offers the best all round searchability, filing, etc.????

Any tips from Franklin Covey experts out there for managing info?>??

tourdewolf
01-30-2004, 10:01 PM
This is slightly off topic but I have been considering trying One-Note, what do you guys think about the program? I don't have a tablet pc, would be using on a "standard" XP pro machine. Does the data in One-Note trasfer at all to PPC via conversion or other means? I like the concept but like the OP I would also like a way to get my "notes" to and from my PPC. Thanks for the input.

Kati Compton
01-30-2004, 10:13 PM
I'd suggest ListPro... Or convert to a series of HTML files held in a hierarchical folder structure.

baker
01-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Funny that you post this topic now as I just finished taking every note file and pasting them into Word docs. My start on organizing. I've decided to use notes only for throw aways and Word for everything else.

I don't think OneNote is available for the PPC yet. It does look slick though.

Another thought is ADB Library. Has anyone tried it?

mclaugh
01-31-2004, 03:22 AM
I've been doing the same thing lately, only I've been moving my notes over to Tombo. Tombo aggregates notes using folders, and each notes is actually a txt file.
I figure when I'm done I'll just be keeping my "sketches" in my Outlook notes, unless I decide then to stop using Outlook notes completely and use ppcpad or apmemo.
(You can find screenshots of Tombo here http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/screenshot.html )
I use Listpro for lists and structured To Do's on bigger projects, and use Outlook To Do's sparingly for reminder type stuff.

Ripper014
01-31-2004, 05:00 AM
I started using a Notes Program called dnotes... its free and allows you to categorize your notes... it does save the files in its own file structure... but for notes only it works for me.

I think part of the problem is that you need to streamline the amount of applications you use. I am now only using 2 for note taking... Textmaker and dNotes...

But from hearing what I hear here... it seems I do not have nearly the amount of notes saved on my PPC as others...

sublime
01-31-2004, 03:00 PM
I'd suggest ListPro...

I second that. ListPro will get your life together. Search the forums for ListPro and you'll see just how much everybody loves it.

I'm telling you, it's the best.

[/hopes ListPro representative will see this post and give me free stuff]

wing
02-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Notes by itself is a great program...and I do know about the NE program that is trying to stabilize it.

I found it hillarious that the genii at MS decided to allow for Categories on your PC Notes, but on your PPC you had Folders, instead.

WTF?!?!

Give your head a shake, MS!!!

Does anyone know of a good way to organize Notes in and of themselves? Is there better software than NE?
BLah!!!!

:)

bridgecrosser
02-02-2004, 05:57 AM
Try www.davidco.com for some great information.

Stephen Beesley
02-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Well I have just been trying out the demo of PhatPad and am pretty impressed. I really like the way that you can scroll from page to page within the note and the ability to recognise shapes. Hey when I set the background colour to green and add some note pad lines I can even fool myself into thinking I am using my Newton!

Am I impressed enough therefore to make it my repository for all my notes, jottings etc? Well unfortunatley not.

There are a few issues that stop me moving over to PhatPad:

1. the fact that it saves the notes in its own file format and there does not seem to be anyway of exporting it to a format that you could read in, for example, MS word. Okay so you can export your note as a bmp or jpeg but that is not really much good.

2. That you cannot integrate your recognised text within the actual note but rather have to have it as a seperate attached text note. This is something I really miss for taking notes in meetings etc like in the examples below:

http://www.pdamed.com/newton/images/s14MedNote.gif http://www.cupertino.de/pages/archiv/flops/images/mp2000.gif[/img]

3. Not such a big issue but I would love to be able scroll between notes as well as within a note.

So for me the search (wait) goes on. Some time ago Alex of Pocket Informant fame mentioned here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12137&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=roll&start=10) that he was hoping to incorporate some of Newton Notes features in PI. No luck in PI 5 but maybe in the future.....

wing
02-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Try www.davidco.com for some great information.

This is a great site, and i looked through the book...i am convinced i should buy into this material!

it is a wonderful hands-on addition to my training from both franklin covey and daytimers.

thank you, BC!!!!