View Full Version : Am I out the money?

PDANEWBIE
01-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Argh if only a purchase of mine would go smoothly without any problems.

Okay now that I have ranted tell me if you have ever had this situation?

Shelled out 140$ for a 2.2 gig Magicstor Microdrive for my Ipaq 2215's CF slot. All of a sudden a 2 weeks ago it starts locking up when trying to play games or access SOME of the installed programs, and forget watching the movies I had placed on it. It would click and whir.

Anyhow when I try to do the same functions with the SD slot I end up getting everything running fine but the problem there is I only have a 512 meg SD card and I don't want to A) carry around a ton of SD cards and B) can't afford to buy them all..

So its only been about 35 days since the purchase so I go back to the dealer and they say sorry after 7 days its up to the manufacturer.

Okay so fine I go to www.gs-magicstor.com just to find out their support number is in CHINA with an international service office of TAIWAN. Now fine then surely there has to be some online help. Yes in fact there are email addresses everywhere from rma email addresses to support email addresses. So far I have tried them all (Yes even sales in hopes that someone would contact me back). 2 weeks later not even a PEEP in the way of return emails.

Now mind you I have even gone as far as doing this from 3 seperate email addresses with no response. Fine the companies email server went down and all the mail servers across the world failed to give one of my emails and undeliverable message. Okay I'll call them.... NO LUCK when I call I just get a busy signal.

Whats up with this? Did their company die and noone inform them to take down their web page? Has anyone else had this problem with this media company?

townsendtribe
01-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Sounds to me like a poor situation. Aside from legal action, your best hope it to write an email to all the addresses you have every day until someon finally responds.

Good luck!

PetiteFlower
01-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Also you might be able to get something from your credit card company if you used one to purchase it, or your homeowners/renters insurance.

townsendtribe
01-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I would stay away from the insurance thing... I got bit by that one for replaceing a broken window. The more clains you do, the higher risk you are and they can raise your rates or drop you for that. Just a friendly FYI.

PDANEWBIE
01-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Not only do I have this situation taken care of but I made a new contact at the same time.

A Coworker informed me her brother deals with Magicstor Microdrives all the time. He is willing to swap it out for a good one and send the defective back with his stack of them.

I don't know which is more disconcerting. That he sees this all the time or that he has a "stack" of bad Magicstor microdrives.

Anyhow this problem solved and a valuable lesson learned.

Never purchase before you know the companies support policies.

Sven Johannsen
01-29-2004, 08:17 PM
I would stay away from the insurance thing... I got bit by that one for replaceing a broken window. The more clains you do, the higher risk you are and they can raise your rates or drop you for that. Just a friendly FYI.

As a well known company's agent once told me, "We are not in the business to pay claims."