View Full Version : How many times will the words "venerable" and "Veritable" be used this week?

Steven Cedrone
01-29-2004, 03:50 AM
It seems as though Janak has been the target of some abuse due to his mangleation ov da inglish langwidge... :twisted:

How dare he use veritable in place of venerable (or was that venerable in place of veritable)??? :wink:

Steve

Just used them 8 more times... :way to go:

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 04:04 AM
I read that little spat too, and had to surf over to www.M-W.com to read both definitions. Now I'm afraid to use both of them! :worried:

A forum search found 19 threads with "venerable" and 11 with "veritable".

dean_shan
01-29-2004, 06:02 AM
It seems as though Janak has been the target of some abuse due to his mangleation ov da inglish langwidge... :twisted:

How dare he use veritable in place of venerable (or was that venerable in place of veritable)??? :wink:

Steve

Just used them 8 more times... :way to go:

What are you talking about??? I am so lost.

Janak Parekh
01-29-2004, 06:30 AM
What are you talking about??? I am so lost.
Short version: on the UI thread, I accidentally called the StarTAC veritable instead of venerable. A "veritable" StarTAC doesn't make sense, and I got called on it.

So, Mr. Snack decides to mess with my head and play off that in the MVP announcement thread, calling me veritable. Instead, there, I maintain that I'm veritable. After all, there's nothing wrong with me being "Being truly so called; real or genuine", right?

Now stop running after me, Steve, or I'll have to start nitpicking YOUR grammar. :razz: :mrgreen:

--janak

Kati Compton
01-29-2004, 06:34 AM
Now stop running after me, Steve, or I'll have to start nitpicking YOUR grammar. :razz: :mrgreen:
Not so much his grammar, but instead his excessive punctuation. "If one is good, three must be better!!!"

:razzing:

Pat Logsdon
01-29-2004, 07:52 AM
So, Mr. Snack decides to mess with my head and play off that in the MVP announcement thread, calling me veritable.
No no! I said that you could be VENERABLE, like Jason. At least you're not verifiable, like me. :mrgreen:

Also, I have a confession to make - I saw that post about 3 minutes after it was up, and was going to PM you about that exact mistake, but decided not to. Perhaps I should have gone with my first instinct? :wink:

Steven Cedrone
01-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Not so much his grammar, but instead his excessive punctuation. "If one is good, three must be better!!!"

:razzing:

:way to go: :way to go: :way to go:

:wink:

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-29-2004, 04:38 PM
No no! I said that you could be VENERABLE, like Jason. At least you're not verifiable, like me. :mrgreen:
I was just testing you this time. :razzing: I know you believe me, too. :mrgreen:

Also, I have a confession to make - I saw that post about 3 minutes after it was up, and was going to PM you about that exact mistake, but decided not to. Perhaps I should have gone with my first instinct? :wink:
Probably. ;)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
01-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Probably. ;)

--janak

Nah, this way it gives us the opportunity to have a little fun (at someone else's expense)... :lol:

Only kidding Janak!!!

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Only kidding Janak!!!
Just you wait, Steve. I'm watching your posts like a hawk. :twisted: :lol:

--janak

Kati Compton
01-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Only kidding Janak!!!
Just you wait, Steve. I'm watching your posts like a hawk. :twisted: :lol:

Well, he used 3 !'s right there... ;)

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 07:33 PM
When members get WAY off topic, the moderators step in to lock the thread.

When moderators get WAY off topic...

"Citizen's lock!" :lol:
http://www.classic-tv.com/shows/images/andy.gif

Kati Compton
01-29-2004, 07:35 PM
When members get WAY off topic, the moderators step in to lock the thread.

When moderators get WAY off topic...

We're in the Off-Topic forum, so :razz:

JustinGTP
01-29-2004, 07:42 PM
We're in the Off-Topic forum, so :razz:

Well, since we are on the topic of spelling and grammar, I must say Katie, that you would not capatalize "off-topic" because it really isn't a noun or a name of a physical place. I just thought I would let you know. :D

-Justin.

Kati Compton
01-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Well, since we are on the topic of spelling and grammar, I must say Katie, that you would not capatalize "off-topic" because it really isn't a noun or a name of a physical place. I just thought I would let you know. :D
a) It's a title - I was referring to the actual forum name.

b) I didn't name the forum.

c) :razz:

David Prahl
01-29-2004, 07:47 PM
I must say Katie, that you would not capatalize "off-topic" because it really isn't a noun or a name of a physical place. I just thought I would let you know.

That's capitalize, Justin! "I just thought I would let you know."

Note to self - go back and spellcheck past 870 posts. Tonight.

JustinGTP
01-29-2004, 07:54 PM
:pukeface: :iamwithstupid:

Steven Cedrone
01-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Well, he used 3 !'s right there... ;)

Well, I went through most of the afternoon using proper punctuation!

Happy? :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
01-30-2004, 02:19 AM
Gee, Steve... you ALWAYS make me happy. <eyelash flutter> :ppclove:

Janak Parekh
01-30-2004, 02:24 AM
Wait a second here, wasn't this thread about ME?

--janak

Kati Compton
01-30-2004, 02:27 AM
Wait a second here, wasn't this thread about ME?
You're not getting jealous, are you? :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-30-2004, 05:21 AM
You're not getting jealous, are you? :lol:
Me? Jealous? Nah. Just because Steve's so handsome and attracts married women? I'll let him brawl with your husband. :mrgreen:

--janak