View Full Version : The PDA Guy is Here

Anthony Caruana
01-28-2004, 11:22 PM
OK - at this place it's probably a bit arrogant to call myself The PDA Guy but, hey, why not.

I recently launched my own PDA site at The PDA Guy (http://www.thepdaguy.com). It's not so much a news site as a views site. I could never hope to emulate what sites like this one and Brighthand do. The PDA Guy is just a place for me to vent my spleen and comment on stuff going on in the PDA world. Think of it as an editorial rather than the news!

Please stop by for a visit.

Brad Adrian
01-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Good luck, Anothony! I've bookmarked your site so I'll remember to visit it often.

SassKwatch
01-31-2004, 07:02 AM
Good to see another PPCT team member branching out on their own. Best wishes!

And if I may be so bold to ask.....

How do you tie the 'Comment' for each entry on your front page to the phpBB s/w? To a large degree, the front page of your site (and PPCT, for that matter) have much the same look and feel of many blog sites. But I've also been under the impression that getting phpBB to work with blogware such as Movable Type is no small feat. It's been done, and I've read a writeup on the process, but it seems unnecessarily complex.

Is that something you'd care to reveal, or is it one of those "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" things? :)

Anthony Caruana
01-31-2004, 07:55 AM
Good to see another PPCT team member branching out on their own. Best wishes!
Thanks dude. It's been up for a couple fo months now but I've not been game to show it off yet until I was confident that it all worked. BTW - if you hit it with Pocket IE your are redirected automagically to a mobile friendly version

And if I may be so bold to ask.....

How do you tie the 'Comment' for each entry on your front page to the phpBB s/w? To a large degree, the front page of your site (and PPCT, for that matter) have much the same look and feel of many blog sites. But I've also been under the impression that getting phpBB to work with blogware such as Movable Type is no small feat. It's been done, and I've read a writeup on the process, but it seems unnecessarily complex.

Is that something you'd care to reveal, or is it one of those "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" things? :)

Ahh...I won't kill you. It's pretty simple really. The content for the front page simply comes from two forums that are only avaialble to me and no-one else. Then my very clever software engineer nephew simply created some code to get the last few entries from the forums that feed the front page and thow in a link to the forum topic with the word "comment".

Given the open source nature of things and the fact that much of what is on my site is built on the work of others I'd be more than happy to share the source code. Please reply if you're interested and I'll post the code in the developer forum on this board.

If I have seen further than some it is only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants

SassKwatch
01-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Given the open source nature of things and the fact that much of what is on my site is built on the work of others I'd be more than happy to share the source code. Please reply if you're interested and I'll post the code in the developer forum on this board.

I could have sworn I posted a 'Yes, please' reply to this earlier this am. Guess I must have goofed something up.

But anyway, yes..., I for one would really appreciate that.