View Full Version : Ebooks tutorial with Jenneth Orantia

Jason Dunn
01-28-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/59AA17E2D050CD92CA256E21008262B4' target='_blank'>http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/...A256E21008262B4</a><br /><br /></div>"Sitting at the train station, standing in line at the bank, waiting for your appointment. . . if only you had something to read! But if you have a PDA, the problem becomes which book to read. The latest Stephen King thriller, a Patricia Cornwell mystery, some classic Shakespeare or Dickens, or a mega-dose of sci-fi? That’s just a sample of the ebooks you can enjoy on your Palm or Pocket PC.<br /><br />Sure, you don’t get any of the familiar tactile sensations associated with reading a hardcopy book, but you can change the font size, look up definitions on-the-fly, quickly search for specific words, and even use your handheld’s backlight as a built-in book light. And how else could you fit an entire library onto a memory card the size of a postage stamp?"<br /><br />It's strange, but I'm definitely using my Pocket PC less for ebooks than I used to. I'm not exactly sure why. No, scratch that, I am sure why - it's because in many of the locations where I'd read an eBook, I now have WiFi access...which means I'm more likely to read my email than to read an eBook. Anyone else noticed how evolving hardware hard impacted your eBook reading, one way or another?

arebelspy
01-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Yup, same deal as you almost.. got an XDA II with always on GPRS and my eBook reading plummeted, now I browse the net or check my email on the go.

I still read eBooks in bed to relax sometimes though..

-arebelspy

rtrueman
01-28-2004, 11:10 PM
I've been a huge fan of ebooks for a few years and I've definitely seen my use of the Pocket PC increase even though I recently acquired a Tablet PC and have always used my laptop. It's simple... The Pocket PC is the smallest device and also the device I carry with me the most. A lot of the time, I'm on the treadmill in my basement. It's hard to use a Tablet or Laptop in this case, but my iPaq fits very well in one hand while my thumb hits the pad to change pages.

I don't know if I really hate the MS Reader, but the only format email I'll purchase is Palm Digital Media. Fortunately, I've always found enough to read. After finishing the Song of Ice and Fire series, I'll move on to today's purchase... The Da Vinci code.

With the Tablet, I've started to read more magazines using Zinio reader. Usually, I'm hanging out on the couch while my wife is nursing the baby. It's a great device for spending time with family, and not as obtrusive as a laptop. I hope more magazines go this route. I find that I never have enough time to go through my magazine stash and when I do, the wife has already "cleaned" them up. I don't see how Zinio could do a PPC version of the reader. Could be interesting, though.

Rob

buckyg
01-28-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm reading fewer ebooks on my PPC, but not due to wireless. No, the hardware change that did it is no jog wheel or similar way to use the volume buttons to scroll on the iPAQ 5455 & 5555. Yeah, I can use the d-pad or whatever it's called, but it's just not the same to me. I used to read more ebooks way back on the Casio e-1xx's I used to have.

popabawa
01-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm lying in bed reading these infernal forums instead of reading...

Point proved! :mrgreen:

powder2000
01-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Of course digital rights have got to be a turnoff to ebook readers of past. I often get confused on what I can actually read on my ppc and with what reader and format :evil:

rlobrecht
01-29-2004, 12:15 AM
I still love ebooks. I have WiFi in my Pocket PC (E740) but still no access most places, so I read a lot of ebooks. I too prefer Palm Reader, and the Palm Digital Media form of DRM. MS REader is ok from a reader standpoint, but their DRM is draconian (although better than it was a few years ago.)

rtrueman, you're going to love The DaVinci Code.

Janak Parekh
01-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Actually, I'm the other way. Even with my new e805 that has WiFi, I read ebooks more now. A jogdial and a hires screen makes a big difference and increases the enjoyment. I think you'll see a renewed interest in ebooks when all devices are 480x640 or higher. 8)

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
01-29-2004, 01:34 AM
Ohhhh, how you tease us Janak! :wink:

I just don't seem to have time for ebooks at the moment. Two and a half hours of commuting by car will do that. :?

dma1965
01-29-2004, 02:04 AM
I really love ebooks, they are my favorite way to read. What really annoys me is that I can only get some books in ebook format, and am forced to buy dead trees for others. What is even more annoying is when some of an author's works are available in ebook format, and others are not. I wish that I could also get my ebooks in any format I choose. Some titles are only available in Palm, others in Mobipocket, and others in Microsoft Reader. My favorite way to read is Mobipocket, but my favorite way to purchase is in Microsoft Reader, because ConvertLit allows me to expand it and make it into Mobipocket format if I choose (Mobipocket is much faster and much more stable). I have purchased about $200 worth of ebooks in the last several months, mostly on parenting, since I just had a child. I just love to be able to pull out my iPaq and read when I am waiting in the doctor's office, or in line, or just lying in bed. It rocks!

Jeff Rutledge
01-29-2004, 02:04 AM
I've just started to give these a try. I tried a while back, but didn't really take to them. That was using MS Reader. I'm trying Palm Reader now and I seem more inclined for some reason. Whether it's because of Palm Reader or because my tastes have changed since the first time I can't say.

So far I've been reading free ebooks only (a few came with Palm Reader). For me, the measure of success will be when/if I actually pay for an ebook.

disconnected
01-29-2004, 04:18 AM
It took me only about five minutes back in 2000 to get totally hooked on ebooks, and the amount of ebook reading I do has not decreased at all.

I've always done a LOT of reading, mostly mysteries, and my only complaint is that not enough of the books I want to read are available as ebooks. I love it when any of my favorite authors have a book released as an ebook, and like dma1965 I'm seriously annoyed if their subsequent books are not available; this has happened with several of the authors I like, including Peter Robinson, Stephen Booth, and Deborah Crombie.

I'd think that maybe a person that doesn't read a lot to begin with might try ebooks for the novelty, and then tire of it, whereas a somewhat compulsive reader like myself would quickly become used to always having lots of books at hand, and the ability to read them in places that aren't well-lit enough for paper books.

yslee
01-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Small screen, low resolutions; I still prefer reading a real book compared to reading an ebook. Add nonsense like DRM to the mix and it all contributes to me reading very few ebooks. The only advantage for me is the number of books one can squeeze into a tiny memory card.

Janak Parekh
01-29-2004, 06:42 AM
The only advantage for me is the number of books one can squeeze into a tiny memory card.
And that's a pretty huge advantage. I carry my Pocket PC with me all the time, but not a stack of books. There is enough non-DRMed material to keep me busy, and screen resolution will be fixed very soon. :)

--janak

yslee
01-29-2004, 06:53 AM
I know I know, hence which is why I still read a few ebooks. However the strain I feel reading on a screen compared to words on paper offsets the big advantage for me. I've seen the E800's screen, but while it's an improvement, I still find it lacking.

Janak Parekh
01-29-2004, 07:03 AM
I've seen the E800's screen, but while it's an improvement, I still find it lacking.
I don't. I read in a lot of mixed-light situations, and having a backlight reduces the strain on my eyes. I found that it took some time getting used to, however, before I started preferring the PDA. But to each their own. ;)

The one thing I still miss is the ability to "thumb" through the book. I know that Reader has a riffle control, but it's still not the same.

--janak

Certified Optimist
01-29-2004, 07:06 AM
And that's a pretty huge advantage. I carry my Pocket PC with me all the time, but not a stack of books. There is enough non-DRMed material to keep me busy, and screen resolution will be fixed very soon. :)

--janak

Exactly! E-books are just sooo portable! Especially, if you read way too many books, live abroad and can't fill up your suitcase with books you've read everytime you happen to go home (no... I don't want to give them away nor throw them away... - the horror, the horror).

I usually visit Palm Reader, add a couple of new books in my "to read list" and then, before I travel somewhere, stock up with enough books so I'll survive.

Also, the advantage of having a bunch of e-books on your Pocket PC is that, once you've finished the previous book, you can have a look in your portable library and say "Hmmm... what kind of book do I fancy today..." - even thought you may happen to be on the road at the time. :D

ctmagnus
01-29-2004, 07:22 AM
The only issue I have with ebooks is whereas a dead-tree book (dbook?) will make me sleepy when reading at night, an ebook will usually keep me up for hours on end regardless of the content.

Paula
01-29-2004, 12:35 PM
I have had my 2215 for a month now and have already read 2 free ebooks. I have downloaded both Palm Reader and MobiPocket Reader.
While I prefer PalmReader, Mobipocket has a tremendous selection of free ebooks. I really don't miss carrrying a book around.
I've never had a jog dial, so for me, there is nothing to miss, the D-pad works great. And depending upon where I am and if I have my reading glasses with me I can adjust the font size to suite the situation. As an example I was caught in very heavy traffic because of an accident. I pulled out my PPC and because I just need glasses for reading, I adjusted the font to a slightly larger size. You can't do that with a paper book. And no, I don't condone reading while driving, but I was sitting still waiting for the tow trucks to clear the way. :)

I am a big fan of ebooks.

Paula

Jimmy Dodd
01-29-2004, 03:11 PM
I use both MS Reader and Palm Reader for my ebooks. I took advantage of MS's big summer give away last year so I have a large backlog of books to keep me busy. I have a WiFi connection, but I still tend to read ebooks instead of surfing the net or checking my email during my spare time. My local Barnes and Noble has a Starbuck's inside so I spend a lot of lunch hours sitting in a their bookstore, sipping coffee and reading my ebooks, surrounded by dead trees. :lol:

I have made a conscious effort the last year or so to be more focused and surfing the net really doesn't fall into that category. I get a lot more satisfaction from reading a good book than from wandering around the net hoping to trip over something interesting. Of course, if I'm looking for something specific that is a different thing altogether. But just killing time by surfing has become old hat for me.

And to rtrueman I am also reading the George R. R. Martin series. I took advantage of Palm Press' buy one get one free sale last spring and picked up the first two really cheap.

ChristopherTD
01-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Reading ebooks is now the primary use for my PPC, at least in terms of time devoted to it. I read while commuting in preference to email, games or surfing. I find the reading process pretty transparent, I am rarely aware that I am reading on a small screen. It is certainly much easier to read one handed in a crowded train with my iPaq than a 600-page paper book!

ironguy
01-29-2004, 07:39 PM
I love to read on my iPaq 2215. I use uBook and MSReader. I recently decided to back-up my books to CD.

They wouldn't fit!

I've gone a little crazy I guess. Between Baen, Gutenberg, Fictionwise, U of V, and others, I've amassed a pretty hefty collection. I do read about a book a week or more depending on size. I'm currently reading the Ice and Fire by Gearge Martin (as are others) - about halfway through book 2.

I still have my 'dead tree' books though.

Buddha
01-30-2004, 01:34 AM
I actually prefer ebooks to real books (paperbacks). I hate reading real books especially in bed! I always have the hand holding the book which starts 'sleeping' after a while. Also you always have to bend those paperbacks ten times in order for them to stay open. And then ofcourse when you're really really tired but still want to read on having to keep the light turned on sucks aswell.
Nope I'll just keep it digital, with the pages turning by themselves and the screen beeing backlit! 8) I can read anywhere with just one hand. With the other hand I can hold the groceries and read while waiting in line without having to put them down to turn the page. :)

Because of ebooks I've read more books the past few year than I would have if I only had paper books. It's just so easy to read a book now since I always have my ppc with me.

DRM is a no go though. Luckily there are enough non-DRM'ed ones and plenty of classics available.

beq
01-31-2004, 09:33 AM
I echo the sentiments here. Haven't read paperback novel for a long time, but since ebooks on PPC I can't get enough scifi. Ditto it's vexing when you've sampled a great novel then find out some of that author's other books aren't available electronically (as with Lois McMaster Bujold for example).

I also wanted to thank Robert J. Sawyer's Hominids for finally making me try Palm Reader and thus Palm Digital Media (since it's not available in MS Reader). From now on I think I'll choose Palm format for at least all secure-only stories at Fictionwise and PDM (like the last two of Neanderthal trilogy which I've finished; and after The Da Vinci Code, all of Dan Brown's works as well).

I'm not much into reading those classical/public domain free stories though, and strangely haven't been interested in reading much of the stuff from Microsoft's give-away. Perhaps I'm just not too interested reading outside the genre (just about all of the in-genre selections from that give-away I already have). Or maybe it's because I'm intrinsically more invested in stories I've actively chosen (to buy) since something must've intriqued me in the first place, versus stories regularly being given out for which I often never even read the synopsis. The big exception is Fictionwise's free Hugo/Nebula nominee promotions which I just love. These shorts are always so satisfying...

As to Fictionwise vs. PDM.. is there really much content difference? Most times something's available at both for same price +/- a few cents (PDM's 10% email subscriber price is lower than FW's regular price but not as low as the for-pay Buywise Club price).

The only issue I have with ebooks is whereas a dead-tree book (dbook?) will make me sleepy when reading at night, an ebook will usually keep me up for hours on end regardless of the content.
Oh man you speak the truth! Glad it's not just me, wonder why that is though? Ends up wreaking havoc on your day heh.