View Full Version : Dropped iPAQ 5555

mattbugz
01-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Here's a scary thought. This morning, I dropped my iPAQ 5555 from a three feet table onto a tiled surface. (Accidentally of course!) The iPAQ was inside the HP case that comes free with the unit.

It immediately rebooted and essentially performed a hard reset. (All data was lost) However, it did not lose my enrolled fingerprints nor the unit password. Strange!

I synchronize the iPAQ with my desktop so restoring the data wasn't a problem. I just thought it was odd that dropping it from 3 feet forced a hard reset, yet the password and fingerprints remained. Perhaps these are located in a different area of memory??

Has anything similar happened to your iPAQ?

allenalb
01-28-2004, 06:52 PM
i dropped my 5555 (and the CF+ expansion pack it was in) about 2 weeks ago and it worked fine for about 4 hours, then locked up, when i did a soft reset, it did a hard reset instead. i thought it was odd that a drop would force a hard reset as well. maybe it's HP's way of punishing us for abusing our babies...

Frankie
01-28-2004, 08:15 PM
I have dropped mine on a few occasions, never had a hard reset.

And also, about the finger print stuff, it stores that in the non volitle(sp?) ROM where it can back up your address and datebook stuff just in case it hard resets or the battery dies....

that way people cant get into your handheld even if they hard reset.

buckyg
01-28-2004, 08:35 PM
I've never had a hard reset after a drop, either. (Knock on wood to both)

I have had a spontaneous hard-reset a couple of times though. It can never be said too many times: Make sure you keep a current backup!

mattbugz
01-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I have had a spontaneous hard-reset a couple of times though. It can never be said too many times: Make sure you keep a current backup!

Now spontaneous resets are a bigger concern! I hope I don't experience any of those. :D

buckyg
01-28-2004, 09:47 PM
It's just been a couple of times and that's between using my 5455 and my 5555. I'm not sure what caused those since nothing had changed recently.

I don't worry too much about it, since it has been rate. I am much more worried about dropping my iPAQ and ruining it. A good backup will take care of a hard reset (for whatever reason), installing a bad new piece of software, etc.