View Full Version : OK, I have my 4155 just right, how do I back it up totally ?

rugerx
01-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Just like the subject says, I want to back up my IPAQ totally.
I want an image. It takes some time to get it "just" right, and then I download some trial software that makes a mess.

I want to be able to restore it, "as is".
I mean my current OS load out with software and all my gear is just PERFECT.

I am afraid to download anything else, for chance of ruining it. :D

So any tips are most welcome. Is there a way to do what I want?

I looked at my IPAQ backup program, it does not appear to be able to do this.

Thanks!

delfuhd
01-27-2004, 04:07 AM
In ActiveSync, go to Tools->Backup/Restore. You can set it up to it does a full backup, that's exactley what it does. Straight down to the current theme and everything. You can even set it up so that it backs up all the files that have changed since the last back up. And restore is a breeze. I've had no problems, and I've only had to restore my iPAQ once from a hard reset (resulting from a lack of use which caused full battery drainage.) good luck!

jimski
01-27-2004, 05:15 AM
I have restored my iPAQ (5450) several times using the built-in Backup application, backing up to an SD card. I backup everything exept the PIM information, which is saved on my laptop and is constantly changing. A restore sets everything back the way it was, including Today screen and application preferences.

The key is to backup often. I usually do once or twice per week and anytime I have added a new application or made more changes to get things just right.

Without the restore application, I might have retreated to paper and pen long ago.

Pat Logsdon
01-27-2004, 05:41 AM
I'd use the iPaq Backup utility that's bundled in your ROM. It's a licensed version of Sprite Backup, which beats the ActiveSync backup by MILES.

In my humble opinion, of course. :wink:

rugerx
01-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Excellent, thanks for the info gang. I will use the activesync backup.

As for the bundled sprite backup, I looked at it, it says that it cannot backup to a PC, without an upgrade. I need this image on a PC definitely.
:D

Steven Cedrone
01-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Excellent, thanks for the info gang. I will use the activesync backup.

As for the bundled sprite backup, I looked at it, it says that it cannot backup to a PC, without an upgrade. I need this image on a PC definitely.
:D

You can back up to your SD card and then transfer the image to your PC... (plus, you can have an image with you if you ever need it while traveling)

Steve