View Full Version : Is 32x SD worth it?

marconelly
01-26-2004, 09:46 PM
I'm in dillema whether to shell out more money for the new 32x 512MB SD card or to get cheaper, 'regular' 512MB SD. I see in the 32x description that it offers better transfer speed, but does that even matter on the Pocket PC (Ipaq 1945) if I want to use it only for the active sync file transfer, and not with any dedicated SD card reader hardware?

Also, one of the online stores is selling Kingston 512 cards for quite a bit cheaper than other stores are selling Lexar and Sandisk. I'm interested if Kingston cards are known to be worse in some way than Lexar (higer failure rate, slower speed)?

WyattEarp
01-31-2004, 11:54 PM
The speeds for memory cards are really ment for cameras and card readers which move files at faster speeds. The PPC does benefit form this but not as dramatically but you will notice a difference. If you play movies, music transfer large or lots of small files then get one. Otherwise, most of the current cards will do fine.

kaitanium
02-01-2004, 02:41 AM
the kingston cards are super super slow (as low as .04k/sec). but again ifyou are only using it for mp3s and files, should be fine. i have the 256 one and i can only get ablt .27k/sec transfer speed which is quite enough to run mp3s and grab the occasional word document and pharos gps maps

i remember back when buy.com had the lexar 256mb sd for $45 shipped...too bad i didnt pick up on that offer