View Full Version : Developing Pocket PC Apps for beginners

sicksound
01-26-2004, 07:40 PM
ok, i have literally being searching the net for 3 days now trying to find any sort of beginners tutorial that tells me what i need to do to start developing for pocket pc. i have very limited skills as far as application development goes. I know PHP and Flash Actionscripting, and i just finished reading a huge book on java programming. I just need to find a tutorial saying:
1) you will need this this and this.
2) begin by writing this.
3) follow this link to start learning more.

i have looked at hundreds of pages, including microsoft's own developer's network, and have found no where at all that will tell me how to start from the ground up as a pocket pc developer.

please help me out, i really want to start contributing some applications.. if i can.

thanks!

Jimmy Dodd
01-26-2004, 08:22 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnroad/html/road01082003.asp

That's about as simple as it gets. Without knowing more about what you want to do, what you want to do it with (.NET cf, MFC, Win32 API, etc.), or what you already know (other than the PHP and Flash you mentioned) this would be my best guess for a starting point.

sicksound
01-26-2004, 08:27 PM
thank you very much! this looks like it'll get me started right.

one thing. which development tools do i need to download? i've downloaded eVC++ 4.0 (and service pack 2.. not 1), is this what i need?

sorry i'm a bimbo.

thanks!

Jimmy Dodd
01-26-2004, 08:29 PM
thank you very much! this looks like it'll get me started right.

one thing. which development tools do i need to download? i've downloaded eVC++ 4.0 (and service pack 2.. not 1), is this what i need?

sorry i'm a bimbo.

thanks!

Actually the article I referenced is about developing in C# with Visual Studio.NET. To work with eVC++ 4.0 I'll have to find a different article. Give me a couple of minutes...

sicksound
01-26-2004, 08:31 PM
ooh! sorry about that, i'm really new.. i dont want to take up too much of your time. which one do you recommend i use?

Jimmy Dodd
01-26-2004, 08:33 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnroad/html/road05232001.asp
Here's one on developing with eVC++ 3.0 - that's a slightly older version than you have, but it should still be accurate.

As to which tools you should use, it really depends on your situation. eVC++ is free, VS.NET costs money.

sicksound
01-26-2004, 08:34 PM
aha! as i am a very broke student, it will be eVC++ for me!

thanks a million, you have made me a happy guy!

Jimmy Dodd
01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
aha! as i am a very broke student, it will be eVC++ for me!

thanks a million, you have made me a happy guy!

Been there, done that. Couldn't afford the T-shirt.

By the way. I fixed my second link above. I think it was going to the wrong article. Be sure to check out all of the "Two For The Road" articles. They are good beginner material.

Good luck, and have fun.

sicksound
01-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Been there, done that. Couldn't afford the T-shirt.

haha, i sold mine on ebay!

By the way. I fixed my second link above. I think it was going to the wrong article. Be sure to check out all of the "Two For The Road" articles. They are good beginner material.

this looks perfect, thanks again! i'll let you know how it goes!