View Full Version : I finally own a h4150, ... but....

karinatwork
01-26-2004, 07:07 AM
... there are of course a few questions:

1. I am having trouble with Pocket Plus. The slider for the backlight disappeared. Anyone know if they are working on this?

2. Owner X doesn't work. It seems to be fine, I can install it and select it and it will work, but when I soft reset my device, it disappears. When I look into the settings of the Today screen, it is still checked, but it doesn't show. Hmmm.

3. Some programs that are installed onto a storage card don't show their proper icons on the drop down Start menu. For example, Flexwallet and Timekeeper are installed on the storage card, and they work fine, and once installed the icon is there, but when I soft reset the device, the icons have disappeared and there are only little white boxes with a blue border. If I select the program by clicking on this box, the program will work fine. As I said, just the icon is missing. I also went back to the storage card, copied a shortcut into the Start Menu, had it working again and then poof - disappeared again after soft reset. Palm Reader is installed onto the storage card too, but its icon works fine. The issue might not be of fundamental importance, but it is certainly annoying.

4. Why is the WIFI coming back, even when I switched the function off? I select WIFI to be off, but when I soft reset, it switches itself back on. Is there anything I am doing wrong? Actually, I think the WIFI is on as soon as I put my device into the cradle. I don't get it though.

5. Will a sync'n charge cable for an h1910 work with the h4150?

Well, as I thought, I couldn't resist the urge for a newer device for long. If anyone is interested, I'll be posting a few comments about my new "best friend" in a little while. For now I'd be thankful for any advice on the above mentioned glitches.

Thanks! :D

K.

Andy Whiteford
01-26-2004, 12:02 PM
A sync'charge cable for h1910/h1940 works fine with the h4150, it just plugs in the other way round.

Not sure about your other queries, I don't use that software and don't have any issues with Wifi coming back on.

Do you have any utilities that run after a soft reset such as WM2003 notify fixes etc?

DinarSoft
01-26-2004, 01:52 PM

2. Owner X doesn't work. It seems to be fine, I can install it and select it and it will work, but when I soft reset my device, it disappears. When I look into the settings of the Today screen, it is still checked, but it doesn't show. Hmmm.

3. Some programs that are installed onto a storage card don't show their proper icons on the drop down Start menu. For example, Flexwallet and Timekeeper are installed on the storage card, and they work fine, and once installed the icon is there, but when I soft reset the device, the icons have disappeared and there are only little white boxes with a blue border. If I select the program by clicking on this box, the program will work fine. As I said, just the icon is missing. I also went back to the storage card, copied a shortcut into the Start Menu, had it working again and then poof - disappeared again after soft reset. Palm Reader is installed onto the storage card too, but its icon works fine. The issue might not be of fundamental importance, but it is certainly annoying.

K.

If you install those programs in your main memory all those problems will go away
The problem is that your memory card booting time is more than the time taken by the operating system to boot, and when the operating system looks for today-plugin DLL (application) it will not find it (the card is not ready yet. i.e. doesn't exist) so it will not show it.
Same happens while building the StartMenu (I guess)

Here are some solutions for you

1- For OwnerInfoX just install in the main memory, may we suggest also trying another freeware called BetterToday ?
http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=98B57X5719E5A9BEC7812693341D47XE&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=82658&sectionId=0&catalog=30

2- For the start menu
A) Install those programs in the main memory
B) Just don't have icons for them in the start menu
C) You can get a HandyLauncher which will give you another StartMenu like menu (but this one works different than the start menu)
http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=98B57X5719E5A9BEC7812693341D47XE&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=84246&sectionId=0&catalog=1

Mike Temporale
01-26-2004, 02:03 PM

No. Well, yes it works but there are issues. I was using my 1910's mini-sync & charge but found it was a little flaky. I decided to buy a new one specially for the 4150 and was a little surprised that Boxwave didn't have them listed. Here's the email I got back from them on this:

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your interest in our products. However, we recently removed
the miniSync for the HP iPAQ 4155, as we were unable to create a properly
charging unit.

The iPAQ 4155 is notorious for being a power hungry unit. The limitation of
the miniSync's ability to charge is the amount of power put out by the USB
port. The miniSync will charge your unit, but by trickle charge and not
when the battery is very low. This is because when the battery is low, not
only is the amount of charge less, but the power of the charge is reduced,
therefore the 4155 will draw supplemental power from USB to support itself,
leaving none left over to charge the battery.

The charging issue sometimes affects the syncing, causing it to be
intermittent.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Please let me
know if you have any other questions or concerns!

As for your other issues, my WiFi does not act up at all. It never turns itself on unless I ask it to. And OwnerX runs for me with no problems. Maybe you have a different version than me?

I have had some problems with PocketPlus. Although my problems are with the shorcuts placed on the today screen not showing. I have contacted SPD and they are aware of the issue and trying to find out why it was happening. This problem had only been reported on a couple older devices, I was the first to report the problem on the 4150 device.

Steven Cedrone
01-26-2004, 02:44 PM
1- For OwnerInfoX just install in the main memory, may we suggest also trying another freeware called BetterToday ?
http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=98B57X5719E5A9BEC7812693341D47XE&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=82658§ionId=0&catalog=30

Looks interesting, I think I'll give it a try...

Steve

Andy Whiteford
01-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Just for the record, I'm using Proporta's Sync n Charge cable with both my h1940 and h4150 and both units sync and charge correctly. Just how effective the charging with the h4150 is I'm unsure as I normally keep it close to fully charged.

rob_ocelot
01-26-2004, 06:53 PM

No. Well, yes it works but there are issues. I was using my 1910's mini-sync & charge but found it was a little flaky. I decided to buy a new one specially for the 4150 and was a little surprised that Boxwave didn't have them listed. Here's the email I got back from them on this:

[quote]Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your interest in our products. However, we recently removed
the miniSync for the HP iPAQ 4155, as we were unable to create a properly
charging unit.

The iPAQ 4155 is notorious for being a power hungry unit. The limitation of
the miniSync's ability to charge is the amount of power put out by the USB
port. The miniSync will charge your unit, but by trickle charge and not
when the battery is very low. This is because when the battery is low, not
only is the amount of charge less, but the power of the charge is reduced,
therefore the 4155 will draw supplemental power from USB to support itself,
leaving none left over to charge the battery.

intermittent.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Please let me
know if you have any other questions or concerns!

I just had an experience with this very thing last week. I was using one of those retractable sync & charge cables with a Semsons Battery Extender (an excellent product, BTW). I measured the resistance of the cable and found a signifigant impedence. The long and short of it is that at the current a USB port can provide (100 mA normally, up to 300 mA if the device 'requests' more) the resistance of that cable will drop the voltage enough to not trigger the charger, especially if the battery is low or Wifi is activated.

Thankfully the Semsons Extender also allows you to charge via the standard IPAQ +5V 2A way so I can charge just fine.

Word to the wise -- stay VERY far away from those retractable cables, they suck and are a poor design with the point of max tension dead center in the cable with no reinforcement. I bet you get about 2 weeks of use of it before it goes belly up.

Regards,
Rob S.

Pat Logsdon
01-26-2004, 07:15 PM
The limitation of the miniSync's ability to charge is the amount of power put out by the USB port. The miniSync will charge your unit, but by trickle charge and not when the battery is very low. This is because when the battery is low, not only is the amount of charge less, but the power of the charge is reduced, therefore the 4155 will draw supplemental power from USB to support itself, leaving none left over to charge the battery.

intermittent.
Very interesting to hear this. I bought a JavoEdge retractable sync/charger for my 4150, and was not able to get it to sync with my laptop. In fact, I got the exact same errors when I attempted to sync my wife's 1945 with my laptop without having the power cable plugged into the sync cable.

Strangely enough, I happened to have purchased a USB extension cable a few days ago, and thought I'd try to use it in conjunction with the retractable unit and see if it would sync. Lo and behold, it did! I can only assume that a regular USB cable has a much bigger "pipe" for juice than the scrawny retractable cable.

I'm using it in my car now as a trickle charger, and it seems to work fine in that capacity.

sindreu
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM

4. Why is the WIFI coming back, even when I switched the function off? I select WIFI to be off, but when I soft reset, it switches itself back on. Is there anything I am doing wrong? Actually, I think the WIFI is on as soon as I put my device into the cradle. I don't get it though.

K.

I have the same problem as described above, any fix to this problem ?.
After the function is turned off I also have to make a reset of the h4150 device before the WLAN actually is turned off. Otherwise the h4150 will come back with WLAN on after next power-up

:?:

Sven Johannsen
09-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Pocket Plus is extremely configurable. The backlight slider's initial existance is dependent on the Theme chosen and can be added and removed, either by option in the Settings, or tap and hold in the Pocket Plus area on the Today screen.

PocketPC Techs have since updated the Lil-Sync cables to provide a LiL-Sync Pro line that is supposed to sync and charge 4155s. I personnaly have had no problem with genuine Zip-Linq cables or pc-mobile's PRQ38 with my 4155s. I don't often run them down to nothing though, so I can't say much about charging from a low state.

Instead of the start menu I use the capability of Pocket Plus to place my shortcuts on the Today screen. I have reassigned my iTask to take me to Today and PocketPlus X-menu has Today in it to get me back there quickly.

The finest addition to my 4155 has been the PocketPCTechs 64M RAM upgrade, BTW

P.S. No radio issues here, WiFi or BT, when I turn them off they stay off.