View Full Version : PI update soon?

mrkablooey
01-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Any thoughts on when we'll see a new PI update? Should be soon, I imagine. I'm totally happy with it but always welcome new features and tweaks. :)

Kati Compton
01-25-2004, 06:09 PM
There was one just a month ago... But I guess according to their stated goal that *does* mean they'll be releasing one soon...

mrkablooey
01-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I got the "dot" update, but something along the line of a version update. :) Not that it matters, it's still a great app.

Thanks for the info!

mv
01-25-2004, 07:58 PM
PI 5 is about to launch any moment now, AFAIK... it was supposed to launch mid january. I bet that it will be the best selling ppc app ever...

ekjl
01-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I'm willing to bet in a few days we'll see version 5 released. I lose money when I gamble so don't take my word for it.

mrkablooey
01-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Whoo hoo! Can't wait to try it. :)

tanalasta
01-26-2004, 01:40 AM
Those who don't browse the pocketinformant forums, there's one that updates every couple of days on the status of PI5. Good news is that anybody who bought PI4 after October 15th is entitled to a free upgrade.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2421&start=30

Here's what the latest post said:
If you ordered after October 15th --- free upgrade. We sent out a newsletter stating that in November.

Here's how it works - we give free upgrades at the 3 month mark - meaning if we release on January 15th, the free upgrade starts on October 15th.

Well as always the case is, we try to let the customer know what we're doing. So we started talking about PI5 in late October and early November. We know we plan to have it released in a certain timeframe and so we put a hard date of Oct 15th so that we're fair to all customers who may read the rumors or read this site looking for info on the next major release (you know those that read about PI5 and then go buy PI4).

So that said, it will be out this year, but it could very well be March, it could very well be tomorrow. It is NOT yet finished. I don't want to give dates when we plan to release it except to say that if you've bought after October 15th you'll get a free upgrade to PI5 when it is done and we like to stick as close to our policies as possible always erring on the side of the customer.

Finally - it will be a very quiet time for us over the next 2-3 weeks. Lots of exciting stuff happening. Lots of boring and tedious stuff happening. Some having to do with PI5, some not.

But please know this, I am much better at answering questions than offering comments.

Innovation in Personal and Business Information Management
http://www.pocketinformant.com/

dh
01-26-2004, 01:45 AM
The only committment that WebIS made is to release PI5 in 2004. Having said that, it is in Alpha trials right now and a beta version is due anytime.

As I understand it, 5.0 is a total rewrite so there was a lot to be done.

Since PI 4.6 is my #1 PPC app by far, I'm also looking forward to the next version. I changed jobs a month ago and I'm using it more than ever. I'm sure we are not going to be disappointed with the results when the new version is available.

famousdavis
01-26-2004, 05:49 AM
The only committment that WebIS made is to release PI5 in 2004. Having said that, it is in Alpha trials right now and a beta version is due anytime.

As I understand it, 5.0 is a total rewrite so there was a lot to be done.

Since PI 4.6 is my #1 PPC app by far, I'm also looking forward to the next version. I changed jobs a month ago and I'm using it more than ever. I'm sure we are not going to be disappointed with the results when the new version is available.

Hmmmmm.....Windows Mobile 2003 was a "total rewrite", and the PPC community wasn't exactly overwhelmed with all the new features packed into that OS, so.....

Too, anytime I hear "total rewrite" I think "buggy software for six months after the release date." No new PI upgrade for me for quite a while, I'm afraid!

mrkablooey
01-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Too, anytime I hear "total rewrite" I think "buggy software for six months after the release date." No new PI upgrade for me for quite a while, I'm afraid!

Come on, where's your sense of adventure!?

mrkablooey
01-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Saw this in the ARTICLE section of PPCThoughts.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23647

edit: and now I see it made it to the front page. :?

famousdavis
01-26-2004, 10:53 PM

Come on, where's your sense of adventure!?

My sense of adventure was quashed several years ago, after a decade of excitedly upgrading my software to the latest releases and then spending countless late-night hours -- or all-nighters -- recovering from the botched software release. The last straw for me was when I bought my current desktop PC, about two years ago, and WindowsUpdate instructed me to upgrade the latest release of an NVidia driver. I did, and when the PC rebooted, the display failed to display a thing. I was able to back-out of that upgrade, but that was the straw that did me in. Now, I wait for something other than a x.0 release for major upgrades, and I wait a few months after any patch-update so most quirks that are introduced into supposedly-fixed software release can be again released. Moreover, unless I really need some new function out of any kind of driver, I remain contented with the installed driver on my PC that I know works.

On my PPC, I generally follow the same guidelines as my desktop. Here, for example, is a software product (SoundExplorer) I really like a lot, but which has been incredibly unstable -- as attested by the frequent release schedule, sometimes within days of each other -- leaving me to spend waaaay too much time debugging/uninstalling/reinstalling/testing:

Release history:
-------------------------------------------
January 14, 2004
Version 3.45:
- recording reliability increased
- memory usage optimized

December 3, 2003
Version 3.44:
- recording reliability increased
- memory usage optimized

October 25, 2003
Version 3.43

- "stop-bug" fixed
- "skipping" fixed
- improved reliability
- input meter delay removed

October 18, 2003
Version 3.41

- "hour glass" has been removed according to numerous user suggestions

October 14, 2003
Version 3.4

- "insert" feature added
- "append" feature added
- "overwrite" feature added
- new level bar at file manager area
- improved interface and usability
- improved contrast at file info bar
- major and minor bugs fixed

September 9, 2003
Version 3.2

- autorefreshing added to file manager
- Register dissappears from menu after you enter your RegKey
- bookmark editor window improved
- About window improved
- display off feature improved (if you run an external application after starting recording the program will not shut display off)

Features major bug fixes:

- registration system bug
- 500kb free memory limit set
- incorrect progress bar displaying for mp3 rec.
- bookmark editor bug (tag adding)
- incorrect tagging in Windows Mobile 2003
- incorrect remaining time when recording for over an hour
- incorrect remaining time in mp3 rec.
- frame loss/repeat in mp3 rec. (occured in mp3 tagging or launching external application during recording)

August 22, 2003
Version 3.1

Features major bug fixes and removes some known restrictions of 3.0 beta:

- hardware button operating bug
- renaming bug (bookmark file)
- mp3 rec. idle timer
- mp3 rec. idle volume meter
- mp3 rec. idle VAS
- active task bug
- stop button bug (in "All Files" mode)
- registration system bug
- a few small bugs fixed

August 3, 2003
Version 3.0 beta

- on-the-fly mp3 recording
- wav to mp3 converting
- customizable voice activated recording (VAS)
- output/input level indicator
- new registration/protection system to avoid piracy
- "minus" added to remaining time indicator :)
- a few bugs fixed

June 12, 2003
Version 2.5

- quick bookmark option
- bookmark editor
- user interface improvements
- minor bugs fixed

May 22, 2003
Version 2.3.1

- VITO ButtonMapper compatible
- minor bugs fixed

May 15, 2003
Version 2.3

- customizable hardware buttons
- a few bugs fixed

May 8, 2003
Version 2.2

- elapsed/remaining time indicator added
- default storage folder option
- date specific folders option
- customizable default file name
- more options for display off mode
- mp3/wav files association (+ removal)
- double tap to play a file in file manager
- minor bugs fixed

March 17, 2003
Version 2.1

- improved contextual menu (tap-n-hold)
- minor bugs fixed

February 14, 2003
Version 2.0

- mp3 playback added
- minor bugs fixed
- last opened folder stays after exit
- program messages and dialogs improved
-

January 5, 2003
Version 1.6

- major and small bugs fixed
- confirmation dialogs for file management added

December 30, 2002
Version 1.5

- major bugs fixed
- file and folder management features added (copy, move, delete)

December 24, 2002
Version 1.0 release

mrkablooey
01-27-2004, 07:50 PM
The last straw for me was when I bought my current desktop PC, about two years ago, and WindowsUpdate instructed me to upgrade the latest release of an NVidia driver. I did, and when the PC rebooted, the display failed to display a thing.

Hmmm, that's odd.

When I click the aqua blue Apple in the top left of my screen, I don't see a "Windows Update" option. :twisted:

JustMe
01-27-2004, 10:29 PM
The last straw for me was when I bought my current desktop PC, about two years ago, and WindowsUpdate instructed me to upgrade the latest release of an NVidia driver. I did, and when the PC rebooted, the display failed to display a thing.

Hmmm, that's odd.

When I click the aqua blue Apple in the top left of my screen, I don't see a "Windows Update" option. :twisted:

Because as we all know, Apple makes you pay for everything. :mrgreen:

JM

EDIT: Fixed spelling

Pat Logsdon
01-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Because as well all know, Apple makes you pay for everything. :mrgreen:
Touché! :takethat:

mrkablooey
01-27-2004, 11:28 PM
OUCH!

:microwave: