View Full Version : Possible Wi-Fi setup?

lazerin
01-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi, I need opinions on whether what I want to do is possible. If I get one of these (http://www.pcrange.biz/index.php?page=w_wireless_pci&id=1) installed in my pc (or a usb wi-fi dongle), will I be able to connect via wi-fi to an ipaq 2210 with a wifi card installed without any other hardware?

My pc is not connected to a LAN, however my adsl modem is hooked up via ethernet to a network card in my pc. Will I be able to share my adsl connection with the ipaq? Will I be able to easily share files between my pc and the ipaq?

Thanks in advance :)

dhettel
01-25-2004, 02:24 PM
You'll need to use ICS, and in order to use ICS you'll need to not be using the IP range 192.168.0.xxx. Other than that, you'll need to put both units in Ad-Hoc mode.

Hope that helps

dmacburry2003
01-25-2004, 05:59 PM
I recommend you get a wi-fi router/access point for $70 to save you the trouble.
Troubles I had with this setup:

1.Could not install 2 ethernet cards on a PC without installing tons of drivers every time I turned on the PC.
2.Windows 98 (not SE) did not come with ICS.
3.Took hours.

Or, if you can set it up without ICS, you could create an ActiveSync connection. Then the iPaq can share internet through ActiveSync. You need to set it so that it doesn't drop the connection when finished.