View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed how popular DVD-toPocket PC has gotten?

Dave Potter
01-25-2004, 02:40 AM
This is a follow-up to a thread that started here in December: LOOK HERE (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22122&highlight=dvdtopocket)

Has anyone else noticed that this application has risen up to #2 on the Pocket PC Thoughts most popular software list? (data from Handango)
(it's on the Pocket PC Thoughts homepage)

Who knew that it would become this popular back in December? I think it's kinda nice that we at Pocket PC Thoughts were some of the first to embrace this application. I guess it shows just how forward thinking we all are. Does the phrase "early adopter" mean anything to you?

Anthony Caruana
01-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Hi there

FYI - I've just about finished a review of this application and it should be on the site soon. I'd say it's sitting at No 2 at Handango for good reason - it's a pretty cool application

Regards

Jason Dunn
01-25-2004, 06:06 AM
What's even more amazing is that it has become #2 without any sales in the US - unless Handango is indeed selling it to people in the US. Can anyone confirm that?

Kevin C. Tofel
01-25-2004, 04:48 PM
What prevents the software from "running" in the U.S.? Handango just allowed me to download the trial......

KCT

Falstaff
01-25-2004, 09:57 PM
What prevents the software from "running" in the U.S.?

Your conscience.

There probably isn't anything keeping you from buying it, you're just not supposed to use it.... It's like Kazaa and other P2P systems, you can download them, but you aren't supposed to use them for pirated music/movie/software trading.

sracer
01-25-2004, 11:24 PM
I have to admit that I'm suprised by the popularity. Especially when this can be done just as easily with freeware tools. But as with anything... knowledge is power. And if someone doesn't know that those tools freely exist, they must relegate themselves to purchasing software.

Falstaff
01-25-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't think the software is popular because people don't know that freeware tools exist, but rather because it is so easy to use. If you know of a program that will in one step take a DVD and export it to a certain sized file that can be read on a PPC, please tell us. If you want to use freeware, at least as far as I know, it requires ripping the movie from the DVD to your HD, then using something like VirtualDub to get the video into a PPC compatible format, there are whole guides for this process. A one-click solution is always great, you just have to way the cost vs. convenience benefits.

Anthony Caruana
01-25-2004, 11:49 PM
I have to admit that I'm suprised by the popularity. Especially when this can be done just as easily with freeware tools. But as with anything... knowledge is power. And if someone doesn't know that those tools freely exist, they must relegate themselves to purchasing software.

I agreee that this can be done with freeware tools but I disagree with the "easily". I've done this with both DVD to Pocket PC and with freeware tools. DVD to Pocket PC is a single button press and the process from that point is completely automatic. There are just two options (nortmal or high quality).

With the freeware tools you need to set options, run at tleast a couple of different applications and intervene wehn each application has done its thing.

Dave Potter
01-25-2004, 11:57 PM

:soapbox:

I think it may be more than igorance as you indirectly suggested (you never actually used the word ignorance - but your words did suggest it). There is also the convenience factor. For instance, I am a very technically inclined person - and I bought DVD-to-Pocket PC.

Why? Not because I am not intelligent enough to find freeware or to figure out how to use it - but because I am a busy person who doesn't have the time to fiddle around and rip and encode a DVD multiple times until I get the exact right combination of settings so that it fits on a 128 or 256 MB SD card and still looks and sounds good.

I also know how to change the oil on my car - and have done so many, many times. Nonetheless, I still take it to my automechanic for the most part these days. Why? CONVENIENCE.

Bottom line - my time is worth more than a lousy $25.

Don't assume that we are all stupid for buying an application like this. Perhaps we just don't have as much spare time on our hands as you do.

Sorry for the rant. That message just rubbed me the wrong way.

sracer
01-26-2004, 01:13 AM

:soapbox:

I think it may be more than igorance as you indirectly suggested (you never actually used the word ignorance - but your words did suggest it). There is also the convenience factor. For instance, I am a very technically inclined person - and I bought DVD-to-Pocket PC.

whoa... first off, ignorance is not a perjorative... it is simply "a lack of information". I am ignorant of many things...that is why I seek out knowledge in those areas.

Why? Not because I am not intelligent enough to find freeware or to figure out how to use it - but because I am a busy person who doesn't have the time to fiddle around and rip and encode a DVD multiple times until I get the exact right combination of settings so that it fits on a 128 or 256 MB SD card and still looks and sounds good.

I also know how to change the oil on my car - and have done so many, many times. Nonetheless, I still take it to my automechanic for the most part these days. Why? CONVENIENCE.

Absolutely! I'm a software developer and it is easier for me to purchase software than to write it myself. As for convenience in ripping DVDs... it IS easy and DOESN'T require ripping a DVD multiple times. My time is perhaps more limited than most people and ripping a disc requires very little of my attention. But, what is considered convenience or not is very subjective.

Bottom line - my time is worth more than a lousy $25.

Don't assume that we are all stupid for buying an application like this. Perhaps we just don't have as much spare time on our hands as you do.

Sorry for the rant. That message just rubbed me the wrong way.

I was ok with everything you posted until this closing salvo. If you don't know the difference between ignorance and stupidity, or how ironic your "Perhaps we just don't have as much spare time on our hands as you do." comment is, then... well... nevermind.

PPCMD
01-26-2004, 01:27 AM
I just don't see what the big deal is if I purchases the DVD and want to carry it with me on a small format like my PPC I should be able to rip a copy to it. I can do this with my CD's so why not my DVD's. Its not like I am going to get the full home theatre effect on my PPC that I get at home. Thank you George W Bush for keeping us from having this truly useful app.

Dave Potter
01-26-2004, 01:46 AM
Perhaps I read a tone of condescension into your previous posting that was not actually there. When you stated that we were "relegated" to purchasing software because we lacked knowlege of freeware... well... as you said ... nevermind.

cruiserdiva
01-26-2004, 08:15 PM
What's even more amazing is that it has become #2 without any sales in the US - unless Handango is indeed selling it to people in the US. Can anyone confirm that?

I purchsed it from Handango with no problems. It's a very cool app.