View Full Version : Help, I'm new!!!!

iPAQ_Diva
01-24-2004, 05:59 AM
Hi everyone! I'm the proud owner of the HP iPAQ Pocket PC 4000 series PDA! While I love my product, I have a bit of a problem. You see, I am on a wireless network that I share with my brother. the pda picks it up automatically when I'm either synchronizing or when i'm away from my computer.When I leave the house, I lose the signal. I'm not sure how to configure it so that I can get internet service all the time. How will i know where i may pick up the signal to surf and also, would I need to purchase WLAN service which will enable me to surf the web all the time, no matter which location I go to, like outside?

Please help me clear up my misconceptions.

Thank you so much

JustinGTP
01-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Your WiFi wireless access point or router, which ever one you have, has a range limit. This means that when your iPaq looses the signal, it means that you are out of range. You should be able to go outside, but not all that far.

Also, you can hook up your iPaq to your cell phone to get internet where ever you have service to your phone, but this can be pricey.

-Justin.

kaitanium
01-24-2004, 07:20 AM
yes, wifi has limited range since it was designed to replace a wired network within a building (certain range). you will need a cell service from cell phone providers to get internet anywhere, much like reception on a cell phone...but of course you have a 4000 which does not have the correct expansion slots to do it, but if you want you must get a bluetooth enable cell phone with data plan or a cable compatible with the ipaq to hook to your cell phone

Deemo
01-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Hi everyone! I'm the proud owner of the HP iPAQ Pocket PC 4000 series PDA! While I love my product, I have a bit of a problem. You see, I am on a wireless network that I share with my brother. the pda picks it up automatically when I'm either synchronizing or when i'm away from my computer.When I leave the house, I lose the signal. I'm not sure how to configure it so that I can get internet service all the time. How will i know where i may pick up the signal to surf and also, would I need to purchase WLAN service which will enable me to surf the web all the time, no matter which location I go to, like outside?

Please help me clear up my misconceptions.

Thank you so much

Your options for accessing the net are as follows:

1) Using Bluetooth - you will need a Bluetooth adaptor on your PC or a Bluetooth access point. Your wifi is proably a better option though. Can only be used within a limited range from the PC or access point.

2) Using wifi - as you already have this - it is the best option but yes you can use it only within a limited range. There are ways to boost the signal or add access points near weak spots in the house. Walk a block and you will lose it probably. Use Cirond's pocketwinc to check signal stregth:
http://www.cirond.com/site/home.htm
Most urban centers have public or pay per use wifi access (Starbuck's etc.)
You can use pocketwinc to locate them or check the following website:
http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/

If the wifi kicking is a problem I would imagine the 4400 has a way to turn it off to save battery power.

3) Using GPRS or CDMA X1 via a cell phone. Can get costly but generally quite reliable

4) Good 'ol wired Cat5 via a CF NIC. Oh...I am sorry...you don't have a CF slot. Hahahaha. Just a proud 2200 series owner...sorry! :mrgreen:

Badandy
01-25-2004, 08:02 PM
But remember deemo, when you put in a WLAN card in your 2210, there goes your CF slot :)