View Full Version : Quick and dirty programming

Robb Bates
01-24-2004, 02:36 AM
What's available for quick and dirty programming. Let's say I'm sitting on a bus and want to whip out a cheezy little tic-tac-toe game.

I'm looking for something entirely contained on the PPC, can do simple graphics, maybe some GUI objects and is simple like VB.

I know there is embedded VB, but that's not included out of the box for WM2003 devices and it required a desktop PC.

I'm looking for something simple like BASIC.

What's out there?

Robb

Steven Cedrone
01-24-2004, 02:52 AM
Robb,

Don't know the answer to this, but moved the post to the developer forum...

We may get better answers here...

Steve

Blackbeard
01-24-2004, 03:56 AM
The obvious answer to your question is NSBasic which you can find at www.nsbasic.com . However this is not a cheap solution as it costs $149.95. An alternative which supports VBScript and JavaScript is Forward Pass which costs $39.95 (www.forwardpass.com). The ultimute solution to "on the device programming" is PGCC (http://mifki.ru/pocketgcc/) which is a port of the GCC compiler and is totally free. However this would require a steep learning curve if you don't know C and the windows API. There are other free alternatives if you don't want to use C such as Python, which is a very easy lanquage to learn (http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Python/PocketPCPython/Overview). I hope this helps you get started.

Robb Bates
01-24-2004, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I thought of the GCC compiler, and I've actually used Python.

I was hoping for something simple, like QuickBASIC.

I looked at that Forward Pass and it's pretty cool. I think it's a bit bloated for what I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm being a bit too picky. I'll keep looking.

Robb

Kowalski
01-25-2004, 08:28 PM
this would be so dirty to develop programs using ppc no matter it would be simple or short. when i use visual studio i change my desktop resolution to 1280x1024 and what you are talking about is 320x240 resotution minus keyboard. what do you think you can do with this?