View Full Version : More Chips Squeeze Into Handhelds

Jason Dunn
01-23-2004, 11:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114413,tk,dn012304X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n012304X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Toshiba has developed a new chip-production technology that increases by 50 percent the number of layers of components that can be crammed inside a standard Multi-Chip Package for use in products such as cell phones and PDAs, the company says. For users of cellular telephones, personal digital assistants, and other small-size portable electronics, it could mean even smaller devices. Manufacturers could shrink the device's size because chips can be consolidated into single packages. Or, manufacturers could produce more feature-rich and powerful products, because additional memory and other components can be added with no sacrifice to size."<br /><br />Sounds good, but I wonder if any Pocket PC using this chip won't be compatible with OS upgrades? :lol:

corphack
01-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Sounds good, but I wonder if any Pocket PC using this chip won't be compatible with OS upgrades?

Somehow I just can't imagine that being a problem for Toshiba....

Jason Dunn
01-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Sounds good, but I wonder if any Pocket PC using this chip won't be compatible with OS upgrades?

Somehow I just can't imagine that being a problem for Toshiba....

That was a joke based on Toshiba's lack of upgrades for users. Perhaps my humour was a little too dry. ;-)

corphack
01-24-2004, 12:20 AM
That was a joke based

So was my comment. I forgot to add the smiley.

Icebaron
01-24-2004, 03:09 AM
Sarcasm, on Pocket PC Thoughts? NEVER!

Sydney Bristow
01-25-2004, 04:46 PM
even smaller devices

I'm highly attracted to the idea that it can "cram more chips in," which, hopefully, means it will be much more powerful...BUT!!! Wouldn't smaller device=smaller screen?

I guess that might be good for some mobile phones (which would be used as phone only) and such, but for already-small-screened PPC? Hmm...:|

It's a very interesting article though ;) Thank you for sharing it with us! :D

Kati Compton
01-25-2004, 06:03 PM
even smaller devices

I'm highly attracted to the idea that it can "cram more chips in," which, hopefully, means it will be much more powerful...BUT!!! Wouldn't smaller device=smaller screen?
Well, you can either think of it as similar features, smaller device, or same size device with more features. ;)

Jonathon Watkins
01-26-2004, 12:06 AM
...same size device with more features.

That's my choice anyway - if PPCs get any smaller then they are going to be hard to view/use.

Pack in the features! :mrgreen: