View Full Version : transfer CDrom program to run as PPC app?

STW
01-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Anybody know of an app that can transfer a prgram on a CDrom to run on PPC as an app?

Was reading a review on another site that I can't find now, and the guy said he'd used a program to transfer a educational (language trainging program I think) CDrom program to run as an app on his ppc. Should have followed the link when there, because now I can't find the review.

Great forum.

Robb Bates
01-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Since you're a new poster to this forum, I assume you're new to PPCs. Forgive me if I'm getting too basic here, but some people just aren't familiar with what PPCs are.

First you must know that Pocket PCs are not the same as desktops PCs. Although they have the look and feel of desktop PCs, they actually operate with a completely different OS and processor type. So the only way you can run a program from a CD ROM on a PPC is if it's a Pocket PC program, or something other than native Desktop PC code.

There are a few emulators that do a decent job running stuff like DOS programs, or C-64 or Atari ST programs, but I don't think that's what you were expecting.

If it's a Windows 95/98/2K/NT program, then you're pretty much out of luck trying to run it on a PPC.

There are some programs that have PPC companion software such as Microsoft Money, Word, Excel, etc. But these PPC versions are usually very stripped down, limited versions that give you just the most basic functionality.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Robb

STW
01-27-2004, 07:28 AM
No, this reviewer was talking about a way to tranfer a software program from a CDrom (in that case a Spanish language training CDrom) to an app that would run on PPC (2003). If I can find the review again, I'll post here to let you all know what it was. I'd thought I'd read it on Gadgeteer, but can't find it now.

(BTW, I'm not very new to PPC. Been using an iPAQ since Compaq first brought them out--along with various palm OS devices since I used to be a product manager in the PDA business--but recently got an iPAQ 1945, my first PDA on my own money. I may not be new to PPC, but I've got a lot to learn, and have learned good stuff on this site already. Thanks.)

Robb Bates
01-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Oooohhhhhh, I see.

Interesting. That would obviously require developing a whole new application. If the source code for the original program is available, I'm sure that would be a big help. Is the person who wants to move the program to a PPC the original software author?

I think your best bet would be to post a message in the developer forum. You might get a few bites there.

Robb

sracer
01-27-2004, 05:56 PM
It all depends upon the application. I have "converted" the CD-ROM version of Encyclopedia Britannica to work on the PPC. I had everything working except for the search function. That's because the older version of EB use Netscape as the front-end... I simply fired up PocketIE and pointed it to the appropriate html files.

I also started converting MS' "Dangerous Creatures" and "Cinemania" for use on the PPC. I got pretty far... creating an html framework and some rudimentary db access, but dropped the project due to lack of interest from anyone.

So it is really a case-by-case basis.