View Full Version : PDA/Cell IR transfer failing

Korlon
01-22-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a Dell Axim X5 and an NEC 515. Both are capable of syncing contact information with Outlook and both have an IR port. It seems reasonable to me that they should be able to transfer contact information via IR, given that they share a common format. However, when I have attempted to do so, it fails. The devices can establish an IR connection and data is being sent. The phone even displays a message indicating that it recognizes the transmission as contact information. However, the process fails. No useful information is given on either end, just that there was an error.

I've tried sending other types of files - specifically audio and image files. The phone can store ring tones and color background images, so I thought it might recognize these files. No luck. As far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything stupid like putting my finger between the IR ports.

The IR isn't very well documented in the manuals that came with the phone, and I haven't found anything useful on the Internet so far.

I didn't even expect this to work at first, but the fact that the phone seemed to understand what I was trying to do got me wondering. Has anyone else done this sort of thing?

JustinGTP
01-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Korlon,

When you beam your files, does it say "searching for IR Port" on your PDA? (Something along those lines anyways.) Make sure it can actually find the phone, so, in your case, the NEC.

I have a Sony Ericsson T306 and I can beam fine, I just have to turn on the IR port on the phone

Mid files, pictures, etc. etc.

-Justin.

Korlon
01-22-2004, 11:41 PM
When you beam your files, does it say "searching for IR Port" on your PDA?

No... it says "NEC [7 or 8 characters that I don't recall]" and to the right of that, it says "tap to send."

As I said, the connection is established. The transmission is initiated. Somewhere in the middle, there's a problem of some kind.

I just tried again. I selected IR Receive on the phone. I opened contacts on the PDA and selected one to beam. It said searching. I lined up the IR ports and it found the phone. I tapped to send. The PDA said pending. The phone asked if I wanted to save the contact. I picked yes. It says "Entry could not be saved." I did not move either device after tapping to initiate the send.

When I try to beam a file (picked a .wav file in this instance) the phone says "Cannot receive" and the PDA says "Failed" (PDA says "Done" when trying to beam a contact).

It seems like it should be so simple... :roll: