View Full Version : Decuma OnSpot versus PhatPad + Calligrapher?

Len M.
01-22-2004, 05:26 PM
We need a reliable handwriting input program for our Pocket PCs.

I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have used both Decuma's OnSpot and PhatPad's PhatPad/Calligrapher combination. Which is easier to use? Which is more reliable?

Thanks!

Len Moskowitz

JTEK
01-23-2004, 06:53 AM
I really like Decuma Onspot, but it simply doesn't accomodate my writing style. I write quickly and fairly precisely (which is good for Decuma as well), but Decuma actually slows me down.

Additionally, the combination of Phatpad and Calligrapher was really the draw for me since, in Phatpad, I would be able to write pages of "drawn" text and have Calligrapher "recognize" it all in one fell swoop.

Unfortunately, Phatpad has a serious case of the "jaggies" for me since it doesn't work at VGA resolution on my Toshiba e805. If I switch back to QVGA mode, it works much better... but then I lose the wonderful screen and HUGE writing page.

So.... bottom line is I'm still using Calligrapher, but Phatpad has become just another shelved piece of software.

tanalasta
01-23-2004, 09:23 AM
We need a reliable handwriting input program for our Pocket PCs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "our" but which handwriting program to get is a matter of personal preference and as these programs are relatively pricey ($30 each), i wouldn't purchase them in bulk if you're intending to install them onto pocketpc's for a company. A number of people are proficient at using the standard character recognisers inbuilt into pocketpc's and love/hate either of these programs.

I haven't used decuma on-spot but calligrapher has been around a lot longer for pocketpc's. Phatpad isn't essential (it now costs extra) but does add to its functionality if you scribble notes down often (and don't use PI or another notaking program). None of these input methods are 100% accurate and you still need relatively neat handwriting for them to work well.

What it boils down to is that which program will be easier depends on each user's writing style and personal taste. On a whole, calligrapher works very well especially with text/sentences that are normally found in a dictionary. But I would definitely trial either/both out before forking out $30US.