View Full Version : Is my monitor dying?

tanalasta
01-22-2004, 02:48 AM
All of a sudden, whilst browsing the great pocketpcforums, my monitor suddenly flickered, went black then returned to normal in the space of a few seconds.

The screen image also wavers every so often.

so is my monitor dying? :oops: or is it another problem?

Kati Compton
01-22-2004, 02:50 AM
I assume that the lights didn't dim at the same time the monitor flickered?

It *could* be something screwy with power settings and/or screen blanking... Had you been typing or moving the mouse before it happened, or were you "idle" for a little while?

Apart from that, I can't think of anything besides a dying monitor.

JustinGTP
01-22-2004, 02:50 AM
How old is your monitor? We have a really old monitor 13" that does what yours describes. It also has a permanent yellow tint to it. It hasnt been used in like 7 years now though!

-Justin.

Janak Parekh
01-22-2004, 06:46 AM
It *could* be something screwy with power settings
Or, perhaps, the power cord is loose. Although it does sound like the monitor itself...

--janak

PetiteFlower
01-22-2004, 07:24 AM
My old monitor never gave any signs of dying, it just suddenly died one day, no warning at all!

Consider yourself lucky that you have time to shop!

tanalasta
01-22-2004, 09:44 AM
I use an Acer 54eL monitor which is aout 2-3 years old (came with my computer)... It occasionally flickers now and then but otherwise still seems to be working okay. And no, the lights didn't dim... i was reading a forum post at the time.

Guess i'll wait patiently for it to die then use it as an excuse to get a new computer altogether! 8)

Thanks all!

dmacburry2003
01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
I have this really, really old electric pencil sharpener. Every time I sharpen a pencil with it my four-six year old Gateway monitor flickers awfully. Sometimes it flickers for no reason and I stop it by pressing Degauss. I don't know what its for but it always seems to work.

ctmagnus
01-24-2004, 04:49 AM
Recently, I go to back-up my Quicken data and the monitor will blink off and back on, like it's trying to open a DOS box full-screen. Maybe we both have that new SATAN thing? ;)

DrtyBlvd
01-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Hmm. That's what mine did yesterday, before keeling over and passing on 4 hours later.... for the third time in 5 months :!:

The only Sony item that has ever let me down. Albeit consistently :rotfl:

(Just to be clear, that's three separate monitors, not the same one repaired!)