View Full Version : Can I be charged for gprs if I didn't ask for it?

Candygogo
01-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

I've been tooling with my Nokia 3650 for about 7 months with TZones. About a month ago, my TZones started to go on the fritz. TMobile couldn't help. So last night, I used my phone as a modem and connected it to my PPC. I used the gprs code to connect--and it did! Gprs is faster than gsm, and the bonus of not draining your cell min. is great.

Now I wonder, can TMobile tell that I'm using data internet instead of the TZones internet on the phone? I have unlimited TZones, so the MB aren't an issue.

dmy
01-22-2004, 12:20 AM
You need to be asking this on http://www.howardforums.com

Cheers, D.

PetiteFlower
01-22-2004, 12:24 AM
I don't know what TZones is....is that browsing with the phone? If so, then the answer is almost certainly YES. Whether they'll notice and actually do something about it is an unknown. I have Sprint Vision, unlimited wireless web. Technically, they intend it to be used with phone browsing only; but it works as a modem also; I'm sure they notice that I use it to connect another device sometimes, and based on the user agreement, they COULD yank my contract or charge me for the data; however logic tells me that they're not going to bother with that or even notice unless I'm using the gprs(or whatever set of letters it actually is, I have no idea) an inordinite amount of time, like if it was my main internet connection and I was on for hours every day.

If I were you I'd wait and see what my next bill looks like before I try connecting that way on a regular basis :)

pacemkr
01-22-2004, 12:29 AM
As far as I know T-Mobile now has free internet browsing with all their plans. This means you can make the connection through the code to gprs and not be charged anything. I did this with my father's phone and there are no charges. He doesnt have any intenet plan.

Candygogo
01-22-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't know what TZones is....is that browsing with the phone? If so, then the answer is almost certainly YES. Whether they'll notice and actually do something about it is an unknown. I have Sprint Vision, unlimited wireless web. Technically, they intend it to be used with phone browsing only; but it works as a modem also; I'm sure they notice that I use it to connect another device sometimes, and based on the user agreement, they COULD yank my contract or charge me for the data; however logic tells me that they're not going to bother with that or even notice unless I'm using the gprs(or whatever set of letters it actually is, I have no idea) an inordinite amount of time, like if it was my main internet connection and I was on for hours every day.

If I were you I'd wait and see what my next bill looks like before I try connecting that way on a regular basis :)

Yea, my billing ends in a couple of days, so I won't use it at all until I get my bill. It's just funny that my TZones (internet on the phone) was working until a month ago and the Data is working without contacting them. Of course, I have no idea if data was enabled all the time.

Candygogo
01-22-2004, 12:44 AM
As far as I know T-Mobile now has free internet browsing with all their plans. This means you can make the connection through the code to gprs and not be charged anything. I did this with my father's phone and there are no charges. He doesnt have any intenet plan.

I've checked my account online at T-Mobile, and there's no mention of free internet browsing. I know that the Data plan is still listed at $20/month unlimited, when you have a voice plan.

pacemkr
01-22-2004, 12:56 AM
The data plan allows you to use several more ports. The free included plan only allows the usage of browsing and email ports. The data plan allows the usage of chat and several other ports.
Search around howardforums.com to see the exact ports allowed, but if browsing is all you want, there is no need for the data plan.

Janak Parekh
01-22-2004, 06:43 AM
See this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21533); you might find it helpful. 8) Of course, being careful never hurts. Good luck!

--janak

Candygogo
01-22-2004, 04:30 PM
See this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21533); you might find it helpful. 8) Of course, being careful never hurts. Good luck!

--janak

Thank you! Hehehehe...now I wonder should I even bother trying to get Tzones to work. Nah, I;ll quit while I'm ahead. I never download ringtones from the phone anyway. However, I would miss out on AOL IM's Gotta decide...