View Full Version : Pocket PC Questions

tvos
01-21-2004, 03:29 AM
Hello People of PPC world..

I just entered this realm a few weeks ago and I'm totally sold on this new technology - It rocks!!!

Anyways, a few questions I need to ask this community.

1. Always seem to have problems when system lag after I execute the proper installs. Outlook - Active Sync. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but its random lag when I put my ppc in the cradle.

2. Is there a yahoo IM for the ppc. Went to yahoo and they don't offer one which is weird.

3. Can my ppc Audiovox Thera sold thru verizon do GPS? I noticed there is software out there for it.

4. Whats the best software for converting dvd to ppc format?

Hopefully, someone out there will be able to answer a few questions..

Thanks,

Tvos

Janak Parekh
01-21-2004, 04:02 AM
1. Always seem to have problems when system lag after I execute the proper installs. Outlook - Active Sync. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but its random lag when I put my ppc in the cradle.
Never heard of this. There's a lag before it starts ActiveSyncing? If so, how long is it?

2. Is there a yahoo IM for the ppc. Went to yahoo and they don't offer one which is weird.
Unfortunately, they pulled it :cry: There was one out there, but it no longer works at all. I don't know if there are third-party Yahoo-compatible clients; you might want to do a search on this bboard.

3. Can my ppc Audiovox Thera sold thru verizon do GPS? I noticed there is software out there for it.
I doubt it. Not only is the CDMA-based GPS not real GPS, but the Audiovox uses a proprietary dialer interface.

4. Whats the best software for converting dvd to ppc format?
Try a search for DVD on this. I don't do it, but I know there have been a lot of threads where people have talked about this.

--janak

tvos
01-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Janek,

Thanks for the info. and placing my post to the *correct* forum.

Anyways, a few more questions to ask and probally won't be the last ..:)

1. Going back to my pocket pc - and lag. The problems that I believe my drivers are not correct for my audiovox ppc. I went to audiovox web site and they didn't have nada. I have the original cd that came with my ppc.
Maybe I'm installing a usb driver that is so-so compatible with my ppc?

I install MS-Outlook, ActiveSync, and my ureach synch. I don't know if its me or what. Its random where I insert the ppc into the cradle it will synch and then aftwards or during the pc will seriosly lag. Its all random. Am I doing this all wrong or what?

2. What is the meaning of CDMA? was is it used for? Can I still use GPS with software or do I need to get a card that snaps into the SD that gives me gps ability?

Pls advise..

DW

Thinkingmandavid
01-22-2004, 03:14 AM
You looked at the drivers section of audiovox.com to see if there was any for the Thera?
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProdLinksCmd?type=upg&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productId= This is the first of two pages for that. I am surprised if there is not one. You may also want to consider contacting their customer support.
You can always put your model number in the search to find what is the latest for your Thera.

tvos
01-22-2004, 06:16 AM
Thinkingmandavid,

Thanks for the follow-up!!!

I looked at the updates to audiovox and they don't specify exactly usb drivers. Again, I'm not sure if my process of putting the ppc in the cradle is wrong or I have the wrong driver.

My model is a Audiovox Pocket Pc Thera PDA-2032
Qualcomm 3G CDMA

What I'm wondering is this: Does it matter if I turn the ppc on and place it in the device first or should I have it off? Also, there are two modes for my ppc. Phone mode and Phone Off mode. Would it make any difference?

The other I install this in is:

1. Outlook 2002
2. Install my ureach companion link - syn tool with my on-line isp between computer.
3. Install Active Sync
4. Turn on ppc when active sync requests me to and let the software do the rest. Usually during this process the install will work or the desktop pc will lag and take 20-30 seconds to issue commands to pc... Normally, I turn off the pc and reboot.

So I am kinda of confused here... Any ideas will be greatfull!!!

Thank You,

Tvos

Andy Whiteford
01-22-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm not familiar with Ureach but I'm guessing this is a 3rd party sync tool. Can you try uninstalling this and see how ActiveSync performs without this software in the loop. Make sure you soft reset your device and also restart your desktop pc after the installation before testing.

tvos
01-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Friends,

I am now trying the ROM update to 2002. - Maybe this will help or maybe it won't.

I did try eliminating ureach sync app but it doesn't make a difference. The pc still lags at times when I insert the ppc in the cradle to sync and connect.

Ureach.com is where I keep all my contact information. - Email,Phone,Contacts, Calendar -- everything on-line. There application merges with outlook express to my local pc and then I sync to the ppc with it..

Any other ideas are welcome'd.

Thank You,

Tvos