View Full Version : Visual CEŽ Adds Direct Integration of HP Photosmart Mobile Cameras to Rapid Application Development Environment for Wind

Jason Dunn
01-20-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.syware.com/newsrev/pr/vcehpcam.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.syware.com/newsrev/pr/vcehpcam.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"SYWARE, Inc., a leading developer of intuitive database tools for business and personal productivity, today announced that Visual CEŽ, the award-winning rapid application development software for database and forms development on MicrosoftŽ Windows Mobile Pocket PCs, has added direct support for the HP Photosmart Mobile Camera. The Photosmart camera is part of HP's iPAQ Pocket PC family of products. This new capability means Visual CE users can take pictures with the Photosmart camera and directly save them as part of a database running on their iPAQ handheld. <br /><br />Designed for a wide range of applications, from patient tracking to inventory management to field sales, Visual CE provides a powerful array of mobile development tools, all within an easy-to-use, 'no programming required' environment. To add Photosmart images, simply click an image control in Visual CE and it becomes a viewfinder. Point the camera, click the control again, and the image is stored directly in the Visual CE database. Finally, use Visual CE's synchronize feature to send the data to a server."<br /><br />You can read the entire press release by following the link.

nishka
01-20-2004, 09:57 PM
You know, the only problem with these database apps is their reliance on the Pocket Access format.. It's incredibly slow and limited.. Equally frustrating is the expense involved with going with an MS SQL based solution.

I'm really hoping somebody will port MySql or Sqllite over to PocketPC (as well as apache/PHP) to really turn these things into useful (and affordable) data collection devices. It's all out there for the Zaurus already.

Chris Spera
01-20-2004, 10:13 PM
While VisualCE 8 (and previous versions) can make use of Pocket Access Databases, VCE is not dependant on Pocket Access to sync data.

VisualCE can use Pocket Access data bases, or can store records in the PocketPC Data Store. I have been using VisualCE since version 5, and have been able to create applications that store data in the PPC Data Store and sync that data with desktop Access. In this case, you could probably use the camera to take pictures, store the data in a table in the Data Store, and then move the record to the desktop.

I am in the process of throwing together a review of VisualCE 8 for pocketnow.com. I am certain that Jason also has someone working on a review here at Thoughts. Please watch both sites for reviews of this awesome database application.

Kindest Regards,

Christopher Spera

mmurdock
01-21-2004, 02:57 AM
Do these guys have a try out version?

Mat