View Full Version : Ipaq 1945 vs. 2215

Boom782
01-20-2004, 06:27 PM
I finally decided im going to purchase a refurbished IPAQ from ebay but I still can't decide between the 1945 and the 2215. I can get the 1945 for $229 with a case and the 2215 for $309 with a case(all boxed items included as well).

I don't see myself using the wireless on the 2215 anytime soon but it would certaintly be nice to have just as an option. I would probably only use the unit for scheduling, games, and music.

I don't know much about how the wireless works on these other than you can use one with a wirless card at hotspots. Is there a service fee to be able to use the internet at Starbucks? If I would have to pay a monthly fee to use the wireless on the 2215 then I'll probably just go with the 1945.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Pat Logsdon
01-20-2004, 06:34 PM
If all you're going to use the unit for is scheduling, games and music, I'd go with the 1945.

Both the 2215 and the 1945 have built-in Bluetooth, which is a cable-replacement radio solution. It is NOT WiFi, which is what Hot Spots use. If you want to use a hotspot at Starbucks, you WILL have to pay a fee (either pay as you go, or a fixed monthly fee) AND you will need to get a WiFi card.

Palmguy
01-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Forgive the shameless plug here but I have an unused 1945 refurb that I got as a result of a broken e805 that I returned. I have no use for it as I use an iPAQ 4150. I'll let the 1945 go for $175, that's without a case but it is a great deal. Let me know!

christheswiss
01-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Also, the 2215 has a CF and a SD slot for expansion. I myself have a 1945 because of the form factor, no regrets at all. :D

Sven Johannsen
01-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Keep in mind that there are a significant number of free WiFi hotspots around. Having to pay at Starbucks and Barnes & Nobel Books, doesn't mean you wouldn't benefit somewhere. The airport here in Colorado Springs currently has free WiFi, as have a number of the Embassy suites I have stayed in recently. It does seem that in more business traveler oriented places, they are starting to look at WiFi as a service perk.

Rickyohead
01-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Keep in mind that there are a significant number of free WiFi hotspots around. Having to pay at Starbucks and Barnes & Nobel Books, doesn't mean you wouldn't benefit somewhere. The airport here in Colorado Springs currently has free WiFi, as have a number of the Embassy suites I have stayed in recently. It does seem that in more business traveler oriented places, they are starting to look at WiFi as a service perk.

hey sven, i am also here in colorado springs :). i was wondering about the WiFi service at the airport. how do free vs. pay services work at hotspot locations? does DHCP automatically give you internet access? i've been confused on how hotspots work...

i do not have a pocket pc yet, but i have been researching for months now.

i'm very interested in the upcoming mypal a716 ppc. take care.

Boom782
01-21-2004, 01:45 AM

That is exactly the reason why I am having trouble deciding. I have always been the type of person to buy the better product, one that is more upgradable/compatible with future technology.

Currently I don't know of any free hotspots in my area, but I would kick myself if in a year free hotspots started turning up all over the place and I was forced to upgrade. Otherwise I'll probably just stick with the 1945 and save some cash because I refuse to pay another $10-$20 a month to be able to check my email at a coffee shop, ect...

Thanks a lot for the info everyone.

Sven Johannsen
01-21-2004, 05:28 AM
hey sven, i am also here in colorado springs :). i was wondering about the WiFi service at the airport. how do free vs. pay services work at hotspot locations? does DHCP automatically give you internet access? i've been confused on how hotspots work....

Your life is actually much easier with WM2003's auto configure capability. At the airport, You whip out your 4155, or 2215 with WiFi card. Turn it on and wait a sec. The wizard pops down from the top and says 'Found Tsunami' (the name of the net out there) would you like to connect? Click Connect and start eating battery, surfing and checking e-mail. Pretty much the same thing at the Embassy Suites in south Denver. Yes it sets things up via DHCP.

At Barnes and Noble and the Sheraton at South Circle, you can get as far as the Web page that asks for your T-Mobile HotSpot login info. You have a good signal, but it won't let you go anywhere. DIA is using an ATT service if I recall correctly, where it actually gave you the opportunity to buy some time right then. So there are subscription services that tie you to a network, and there are others that let you buy time when you need it it seems.

Mark_Venture
01-21-2004, 06:44 AM
....I don't see myself using the wireless on the 2215 anytime soon but it would certaintly be nice to have just as an option. I would probably only use the unit for scheduling, games, and music...
Both the 1945 and 2215 are nice units, but think about it carefully before you buy.

When I got mine, I knew nothing of PocketPCs. I got the 2215 because of having BOTH SD and CF slots. Knowing I could use the CF slot for either memory (share a 256Meg CF with my digital camera) or Wi-Fi (there were only CF Wi-Fi cards at that time, no SD Wi-Fi), GPS or Dialup modem add on. And the SD slot for memory.

Then I learned about how the built in memory worked AFTER I started installing software. I filled it up quick and learned about installing the programs to a Memory Card instead. Since then, all my stuff is installed to an SD card and it stays in at all times. That leaves the CF slot free for wi-fi and camera's memory when I need it, or if I ever decide to buy GPS or a dial-up modem for it.

With the 1945, if you buy a memory card, install all your apps to it, then later add Wi-Fi, you'll have to choose between your apps OR Wireless. The other option being you can get a combo Wi-Fi/Memory card, but leave it in and sticking out all the time, and I've seen them only have 64 or 128 meg on them, where as you can get SD Memory cards up to 512Meg and 1Gig now.

Plus the 2215 comes with a Cradle, where the 1945 comes with just a cable. My personal preference is the cradle, its easier to take in and out.

The 1945 is very nice, guy at work has one. His is about the same speed as my 2215 and is a nice size. Only draw backs about the 1945 for ME was only 1 slot, and cradle not included.

But EITHER WAY, I don't think you can go wrong getting one of them :)

JustinGTP
01-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Remember, the 2215 is faster than the 1945! More Mhz will help you down the road, and the size isnt that much different.

Get the better one now and you wont look back!

-Justin.

Janak Parekh
01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Remember, the 2215 is faster than the 1945!
No, it's not. The two are very comparable in performance tests. Don't go by MHz, it's only useful within a single product line, and the Samsung is architected differently than the XScales.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
01-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Plus the 2215 comes with a Cradle, where the 1945 comes with just a cable. My personal preference is the cradle, its easier to take in and out.

But then you find that you really want a neat case/cover to protect your precious. With few exceptions, cases will let you sync/charge via a cable but not a cradle. So you are stuck pulling the PPC in and out of the case all the time, or buy a sync and/or charge cable. You can sync via BT, but so far you can't charge that way.

Just thought I'd add to the confusion :twisted: .

Looked at the 4155, BTW?

Palmguy
01-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Boom, check your PM box...

Boom782
01-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks again for all the help everyone. I think I have decided to go with the 1945. I can't see myself using/paying for wireless internet anytime in the near future so the 1945 is probably all I need.

Now can anyone suggest a nice case and stylus? I like the slim cases from casesonline.com but $60-$70 seems like a lot for a case. Also I would like a nice stylus/pen combo. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Palmguy
01-21-2004, 11:20 PM
I've always been a fan of E&B Cases Slipper cases. Well constructed in my opinion, and at a reasonable price of around $35-40.

Boom782
01-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Palmguy. I really like the looks of that Slip Case and its very reasonable.

christheswiss
01-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Get the SENA case and be done with it. It is the slimmest around. I think it is senacases.com
Check it out, I have one and I am very happy with it !! :D

christak
01-22-2004, 02:13 AM
Get the SENA case and be done with it. It is the slimmest around. I think it is senacases.com
Check it out, I have one and I am very happy with it !! :D

I have a Sena as well -- Great case!
8)

Brad Adrian
01-22-2004, 02:48 AM
Now can anyone suggest a nice case...

I've always liked the cases that have a leather flip-cover for quick access. I've bought them from EB cases, Vaja, Covertec and Sena. I've liked them all and have found their quality very high. Lately, I've been partial to the Sena cases, mostly because of the color choices (http://www.senacases.com/hp2215/) offered.

However, I also prefer using synch/charge cables, so if you want to be able to use a cradle with your device in a leather case, make sure the case's specs state that it can be used that way.

Mark_Venture
01-22-2004, 03:39 AM
But then you find that you really want a neat case/cover to protect your precious. With few exceptions, cases will let you sync/charge via a cable but not a cradle. So you are stuck pulling the PPC in and out of the case all the time, or buy a sync and/or charge cable.
Ahhh, but I use the holster left over from my RIM 857 as the case for my iPAQ 2215, so its protected and on my hip securely :) I take my iPAQ in/out as I use it throughout the day. So at night, no problem putting in cradle. And at the office, I sync via bluetooth. 8)