View Full Version : Skiing with a Pocket PC

Oliver Mitchell
01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm going skiing in a couple of weeks and was just wondering if i should take my pocket pc on the slopes with me and if i do what ski maps are available, they don't need to have gps ability as i don't have gps yet

rhmorrison
01-20-2004, 03:14 PM
DON'T DO IT
It sounds like a good way to get a cracked screen to me.
Why don't you leave it at the lodge and play with it once you've gotten off the slopes and dethawed.

Steven Cedrone
01-20-2004, 03:18 PM
I really can't think of a good reason for you to take it with you on the slopes. I feel the risks outweigh the benifits...

Just my .02

Steve

gvanjr
01-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Check out Otterbox or some other type of hard case if you do...

ppc4me
01-20-2004, 06:56 PM
I agree with the previous replies, you won't have much need for it on the slopes and it probably will be outside the manufacturer's recommended operating temps.

I recently was skiing in Vermont two weekends ago in that really cold weather. It was about 0F with a -20 wind chill at the base lodge. I had the options to: keep it with me in my ski jacket (nice and warm next to my body, but risky if I fell on it), keep it in a locker at the lodge (theft concern), or leave it back in the truck in the parking lot (cold, theft).

I chose to leave it in the truck. I worried about it a few times during the ski day (It's a new HP 4155 - Christmas present) and thought about the effects of the cold.

When I got back to the truck at the end of the day, I checked it in the glove compartment and it had turned itself on. Also, the batt was giving me a low batt message even though it was almost 100% at the start of the day. I warmed it up in my jacket. When we got back to the hotel, I took it out and checked and it was showing a full charge again.

I guess the cold weather effected the batt charge or at least the indication.

Has anyone else exhibited anything like this type of behavior with their PPCs in cold temps?

I know, it's somewhat off topic but it had to due with skiing and I've been meaning to post and ask this question anyway.

Oliver Mitchell
01-20-2004, 10:41 PM
ok it's just confirmed my original thoughts, thanks

MikeStanley
01-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Don't do it !!!
Don't risk the expense I would say.

I'll be on the slopes in 5 weeks and I have chosen to get a garmin legend rugged gps.

Use it as a gps machine on the slopes and a receiver for the pda while in the car.

pacemkr
01-21-2004, 05:41 AM
Imagine droping it off the lift while looking at the map. Just the thought of it made me leave it at the lodge. :lol: