View Full Version : First big Encoding/Vdub Job.... Did I mess it up?

JTEK
01-20-2004, 05:19 AM
Greets, all:

Having experimented with some 2-5 minute DVD rips using PocketMatrix's excellent guide, I decided to take the plunge and do a full DVD rip.

On my smaller 2-5 minute jobs, I wouldn't set Vdub in batch mode; instead, I'd do the first pass, then I'd do the second pass renaming the output file. I was very satisfied with the results and that's what led me to try a full DVD.

Well, this afternoon, I set up vDub to do a batch job and checked the box to "suppress warnings".... I thought that that would assure it would go through the whole thing without interruption.

Just returned home and it's winding up the second pass. Now I'm still a newb when it comes to these things, but I have a legitimate question.

What's going to happen to the final AVI file that is created since I wasn't able to name the 2nd pass-created vid a different name than the one created in the 1st pass. Am I making sense?

It's still got about an hour to go, but curiousity is getting the best of me. Anyone know if not renaming the 2nd pass file different from the first is going to affect the video?

Thanks for any and all information!

Jude
01-20-2004, 05:15 PM
What version of DivX are you using? I know for sure that ever since the versions released around 2002 (4.xx and above?), it doesn't matter if you save over the first-pass AVI file. I dunno about older versions. It makes no difference. For the most recent versions of the DivX codec with multi-pass, you can do an unlimited number of passes, with each pass creating a smaller file with better quality (it tops out at around the 8th pass though). Even with multi-pass, it still doesn't matter if you just keep saving over the same file. DivX-multipass-encoded video files can be played using the most recent version of PocketMVP.

JTEK
01-20-2004, 06:04 PM
What version of DivX are you using? I know for sure that ever since the versions released around 2002 (4.xx and above?), it doesn't matter if you save over the first-pass AVI file.

Jude:

Thanks for the reply. I used DivX 5.03. Glad to hear that I could save over the first-pass AVI file. I tried the vid on my Toshi e805 last night using the latest PocketMVP. Looked great! Probably could have been better... and will be... once I get to know the process a bit better.

Again, thanks a bunch!