View Full Version : PPC's need a safe mode. (Or, How can I save my PPC from Jgui Phone Profiles?)

gai-jin
01-20-2004, 03:07 AM
I installed the Jgui phone profiles software featured on the front page the other day, and find that since installing the software, I can't get back into my ppcpe. Unfortunately, as soon as I turn on the PPC, it turns back off.

Any thoughts on how I could get around this? I get just enough time to get about 2 numbers of my password put in before the ppc turns back off.

Any help would be appreciated.

What I really need is 'safe mode', so I can turn the ppc on, holding certain buttons, and have it not boot any startup software...

I really don't want to hard reset. :(

Gai-jin

Robb Bates
01-20-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure if this will work.

Can you put your PPC in the cradle and hotsync?

Maybe you can use Windows Explorer and delete the startup files associated with this lockout.

Is this possible? It's the best I can think of.

Robb

dmacburry2003
01-20-2004, 04:01 AM
That is what I was thinking about... You should try it, but it might not work since it just turns off.

Robb Bates
01-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Maybe if you post some more details about Jgui phone profiles, we might be able to come up with some better ideas.

But since you mention hard resets, you are probably aware of this quote:

There are two kinds of people: those who back up their PPC regularly and those who haven't had to do a hard reset yet. :wink:

Sorry, I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds. I had to do a hard reset a while back and boy did that hurt. But after that, I made sure that I was always in a position to be able to do a hard reset and then reinstall / restore all my data. Right now I do it with using iPAQ Backup (aka Sprite Backup) onto a spare SD card and my Outlook data on my work and home computers. If I ever install a new program or change my PPC setup somehow, I do another backup. It's quick enough that it's not a hassle.

Robb