View Full Version : How to: Avi and mpeg shrinking

arnage2
01-20-2004, 12:07 AM
How can i shrink some of my mpeg and avi files so they are easier to play on my pda. I have files as large as 700,000mb, and i dont want to buy a 1gb card. If i can shrink my 320,000 mb files into a size that will fit on a 256, or even better a 128mb card, that would be great. What software can i use to do so? (software to make the resolution smaller, or the bitrates lower or something)

Jason Dunn
01-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Sure, just download the Windows Media Encoder from www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia and select the Pocket PC option, and that's about it. :-) It will convert it into WMV format, which you can view using WMP on your Pocket PC.

arnage2
01-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Im currently not using a ppc (waiting for wm2004) I need the file to be either avi, mpeg, or mov. (i want to shrink avi's ang mpeg's)

Jason Dunn
01-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Im currently not using a ppc (waiting for wm2004) I need the file to be either avi, mpeg, or mov. (i want to shrink avi's ang mpeg's)

Um...you know that you can play back WMV's using Windows Media Player on your desktop, right?

Anyway, I'm sure there are tools out there for creating MPEGs, but I don't know what they are - I use the Windows Media Encoder because it's easy and free - so I can only suggest Google or something like www.webattack.com.

arnage2
01-20-2004, 12:25 AM
i want to play it back on my (please dont kill me) Clie. It doesnt support wmv.

Jason Dunn
01-20-2004, 12:39 AM
i want to play it back on my (please dont kill me) Clie. It doesnt support wmv.

Ohhhhhhhhh...........why didn't you say so? ;-)

Doesn't the Clie come with some sort of transcoding software? If not, I'm sure there's something here you can use:

http://www.snapfiles.com/shareware/gmm/swvideconvert.html

arnage2
01-20-2004, 12:48 AM
The clie comes with software to make a video file slightly smaller. Does the snapfiles converter shrik files. Also, does it work well for conversion?

-thanks for your help

Ripper014
01-20-2004, 02:17 AM
You can use VirtualDub for your conversions... its free and you can find it on the Web

bigds63
01-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Check out my Divx Encoding Guide at www.bigdsvideo.com I have some sample videos you can try that I encoded with my guides...You might want to see if they will play OK on your Clie before you start converting your videos.