View Full Version : Mpeg Video Re-Sampling

dmacburry2003
01-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Anyone know of a program I can use to re-sample mpeg video rates?

Jason Dunn
01-19-2004, 07:48 PM
To what format? You can use the free Windows Media Encoder to transcode from MPEG to a lower bitrate WMV file...I'm not aware of any easy freeware MPEG encoders, but I'm sure they're out there or can be cobbled together using Virtual DUB and a freeware MPEG code.

dmacburry2003
01-19-2004, 08:00 PM
I just want the mpeg file on my PC to be smaller. I still want it to be .mpeg as I need to encode it to AVI and WMV later.

Jason Dunn
01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
I just want the mpeg file on my PC to be smaller. I still want it to be .mpeg as I need to encode it to AVI and WMV later.

You're talking about double and triple transcoding, which will result in horrific quality - isn't the real solution to get a bigger hard drive? :D

dmacburry2003
01-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I was thinking about buying a 40GB one for my laptop. I probably should since I'm always editing video/music files.

I did some searching for programs.

I found TMPGEnc, but it only made my file bigger. (I set the audio/video bitrates lower than the original and a lower frame rate, so I don't know how this is possible :?: )

As a plus, getting TMPGEnc is a good idea since it makes .mpeg > .mpg, and .mpeg files are not supported in Windows Media Encoder.