View Full Version : CompactFlash for pocket pc's without built-in reader.

bshibe
01-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi,
Are there any accessories or 3rd party tools that will let a pocket pc without a CF slot read a CF card? I know there is a CompactFlash jacket for some IPAQ models, but how about other brands? In particular, Dell Axim X3 would be great.

If there isn't, what do you think the cheapest pocket pc that supports CF would be?

Thanks guys

Ben Shibe

dmacburry2003
01-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a CF to SD adapter? Or a CF to SDIO adapter? That would be cool because then you could use the myriad of peripherals that are CF in an SDIO slot.

Someone should invent this... It would solve your problem... And mine... (Wireless and storage CF cards are cheaper than SD ones)

The Axim X5 is my idea of the cheapest, but I think that Dell no longer makes them.

Sven Johannsen
01-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a CF to SD adapter? Or a CF to SDIO adapter?

I don't think you would really want this if it were created. One technical difficulty is that CF is a multi-pin system with a number of data paths while SD is mostly a serial one bit transfer system. You would need to build a parrallel to serial converter into the CF to SD adapter which would drive up the price.

My bigger concern would be the adapter hanging off the thin SD part that slides into the slot, with then another CF peripheral hanging out of it. The amount off stuff being supported by that little plastic blade is just looking to snap it off.

Don't know if it is the cheapest, but one of the better PPCs that still have a CF slot built in is the iPAQ 2215, and it even has BT, and the SD is SDIO. With that you could take advantage of the cheaper and bigger CF memory, and the myriad of SDIO peripherals. Other than that try to find a Dell X5.

Kowalski
01-19-2004, 01:35 PM
agree with sven. this device wouldnt be practical. if it was invented firstly would be sooo slow because of data bus issues. secondly it would stick out from the device because CF wont fit to SD slot.
clearly the whole card will be out of the device. this wont be nice for sure!
but the inverse is applicitable. you can find an adapter to fit in CF that accepts SD card.

finally i suggest you 2215 for price and built in CF. i choose 2215 instead of 4155 because of CF slot and CIR