View Full Version : toshiba e800 BT or wireless

bartg
01-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi there,

small question but a difficult one to answer for me ;-)

I was planning on buying the Toshiba E800 Bluetooth version in order to be able to communicate with my phone, and as such towards the internet. Or just listening via Bluetooth headset to mp3s or text-to-voice.

However, it seems almost impossible to find the BT version here. I did find the WIFI version. So, now I'm facing a difficult choice. I need BT anyhow!

So I went searching and found the socket CF BT card which fits perfectly, but I loose that CF slot that I want to use maybe for a GSM/GPRS CF card.

Does anyone know of a GSM/GPRS SDIO card or a BLuetooth SDIO card that fits perfectly? Can you give me any advice on this?

Should I buy the BT or WIFI version?

Thank you very much!
Bart

arnage2
01-17-2004, 08:24 PM
You can find the bt version at expansys.com .

Janak Parekh
01-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Does anyone know of a GSM/GPRS SDIO card or a BLuetooth SDIO card that fits perfectly? Can you give me any advice on this?
Do you mean "flush" when you say "perfectly"? If so, I don't know of one. The Socket BT SDIO (http://www.socketcom.com/product/BL4800-392.asp) card only sticks out a little bit...

Should I buy the BT or WIFI version?
Depends on your setup. I have a wireless 802.11 network at home and work, so it was a no-brainer to get the WiFi version. Plus, that's the only version available in the US AFAIK.

--janak

arnage2
01-17-2004, 08:28 PM
expansys.com also has a toshiba bt sdio card.

(also the e805 bt on expasys.com is $730, a very steap price for a cheap feature)

Janak Parekh
01-17-2004, 08:29 PM
expansys.com also has a toshiba bt sdio card.
Right, but it sticks out the same amount. I believe the hardware in both is very similar.

--janak

arnage2
01-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Youd be best off with an ipaq 5150 or 5555 with the dual cf sleve.

Janak Parekh
01-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Youd be best off with an ipaq 5150 or 5555 with the dual cf sleve.
Except for the bulk and the lack of a VGA screen. We don't know what his important criteria are. :)

--janak

bartg
01-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone,

thx so much for the valid feedback...

I did take a look at the HP IPAQs, but I would need a PDA with a very good microphone. I would like to record business meetings with my PDA. So, I hope the Toshiba has a good mic, and togerher with the nice screen, I would go for toshiba...

I also took a look at the QTEK 2020.

regards,
Bart

Janak Parekh
01-18-2004, 01:37 AM
I did take a look at the HP IPAQs, but I would need a PDA with a very good microphone. I would like to record business meetings with my PDA. So, I hope the Toshiba has a good mic, and togerher with the nice screen, I would go for toshiba...
I have no idea what the quality of the mic is, but the e800 does have a "Conference" option for its Microphone in Control Panel...

--janak