View Full Version : So many PDAs. So little time.

VictoNight
01-16-2004, 09:12 PM
I've been looking around for some time at all the new PocketPCs available and I'm having some trouble choosing the right one for me.
I would be using it for the Word docs. and Excel also I want the best for movie playing and mp3s. I have no real need for Wi-fi or bluetooth. And the universal remote sounds intriguing. Price doesn't bother me; I just want the best performance for my money.
Thanks for helping me out.

kaitanium
01-17-2004, 10:04 AM
take a look at the ipaq. i currently have a ipaq 2200 series and its great. with sd and cf card slots for expandability you can never go wrong in the future just in case. also its got that universal remote software and the IR to support it. plus it will do your word and excel and mp3s just fine...all at once if you would like too msrp is 400, gets cheaper though

David Prahl
01-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts!

Keep in mind that any Pocket PC can meet those requirements (word, excel, MP3s & movies). If you're going to be storing a lot of music or videos on it, I would suggest a device that includes a CompactFlash (CF) card slot. Memory for this form factor is cheaper and faster.

What about size? I'd suggest the Axim X5 to you (I own one myself), but some people don't like it's larger size.

VictoNight
01-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Size doesn't bother me, as long as it’s smaller than my computer that I have now... I was looking at either the 5555 or the e805, but from what I understand the 5555 doesn't have the IR support and the e805's VGA is, from what I understand, only available in some apps. I guess the primary use I would have for a PDA would be entertainment. Also, if someone could take the time to explain all the different expandability slots I would appreciate it.
Thanks again.

David Prahl
01-18-2004, 12:11 AM
if someone could take the time to explain all the different expandability slots

I'll only talk about the kind of card slots you'll find in Pocket PCs. Here we go!

CompactFlash(CF)
CompactFlash is the largest size of memory card (about the size of a Triscuit cracker). Because it's been around longer and developers have more space to work with, there are more attachments besides memory cards in the CF form factor. If you have a CF slot, you can stick in a CF memory card, camera, modem, radio, TV tuner, wireless card, etc. It's also the fastest type of card, and has the highest capacity. IBM also makes tiny hard drives called "micro drives" that fit in a CF slot. There used to be "type 1" slots and "type 2" slots, but almost everyone is making type 2 now. You can fit a type 1 card in a type 2 slot, but not vice-versa. Highest capacity is 4 GB (I think) (?).

Secure Digital(SD or SDIO)
SD cards are a lot smaller than CF cards. They aren'tt as speedy as a CF card, but still plenty fast for watching movies or playing most action games. SD cards also have a little switch on the side that lets you write-protect the card so you don't accidentally erase anything. Many PPCs only offer SD slots now. SDIO lets you plug wireless cards or cameras into your SD slot. Not many SDIO peripherals have been made yet, but they're on their way. Highest capacity is 1 GB.

MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Another older form factor, MMC cards are the same dimensions as SD cards, but thinner and lack a write-protect switch. They can be faster, and are cheaper because there is no royalty fee for producing them (unlike SD). You can put MMC cards in an SD slot. Highest capacity (soon to be) 1 GB.

There are a few other types of cards, but these are the most common in today's PDAs. Most people want dual slots (CF and SDIO), so they can have a huge CF memory card and use the SD slot for wireless or extra storage. The HP 2215 and Dell Axim X5 both have dual slots. Here's a picture JoeLevi posted ealier this week from the Consumer Electronics Show. Note that these cards are not in production yet, but at least this photo will give you a size comparison.

http://www.joelevi.com/picts/cards.jpg
The biggest one is a CF card, the two on the right are SD. The other two are xD, and the three are MemoryStick.

VictoNight
01-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Whoa! Now about how much would a 24G CF card like that run? Can you give me an idea on price for all those cards? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

David Prahl
01-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Again, the cards in those pictures might not even exist - they could be stickers on plastic cards. We might not see them on the market for a few years. Here are some real-life prices (all in USD), and I've bolded the sizes and prices I'd suggest:

SD:
512MB for $160
256MB for $65
128MB for $40

CF:
2GB for $600
1GB for $200
512MB for $100
256MB for $50
128MB for $30

These aren't deals, but just the current prices from TigerDirect.com. I've seen 512MB SD cards for $100.

kaitanium
01-19-2004, 12:44 AM
those are some large memory cards...yikes

Andy Whiteford
01-19-2004, 01:00 PM
If wireless options aren't a concern for you but multimedia are, the Dell Axim X5 or HP h2210 are both good options with two types of card slots which will make expanding easier for you.
If this is a first Pocket PC for you though, I would suggest doing a lot of research and reading up in these forums to see what else you could use the device for. You may surprise yourself and find your needs may change in the future. Its better to try and buy the correct device first time round that will meet your needs.

Kowalski
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
i suggess you 2215. i use my device the same way you'll do. also look at the dell axim x3 which has some nice features too.
both devices are similar to you since you wont push the limits of your device.