View Full Version : Digital photo index/catalog software

Godsongz
01-16-2004, 06:28 PM
This post really belongs on the much-anticipated digitalmediathoughts.com (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com), but I'm considering a purchase soon (as my collection of digital photos has grown exponentially since the purchase of my Digital Rebel). I've narrowed my field of choices to 2, and was wondering if anyone here has experience with both.

Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0
Picasa 1.6
Seems to me like APA has more indexing options and capabilities, but Picasa it just so slick and innovative in its UI that it really stands out. Any thoughts?

Jason Dunn
01-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I have to admit that I haven't used the Adobe product more than a couple of times, but Picasa simply rocks. I'd suggest trying the demo for both and using the one that fits your needs the best - I like Picasa myself because it's fast and efficient.

karinatwork
01-16-2004, 07:45 PM
I tried them both, and I still prefer Picasa. What drove me nuts with Album (I only had Album 1.0) was that once you moved or deleted a picture from any other application, Album wasn't able to update the thumbnails automatically. So I had to go in and tell the program where the pictures to the thumbnails were. I would have preferred sticking with Album because it appears to have a better archive function (being able to catalogue pictures from CD - hence the thumbnail updating problem).
I guess you can't have both.

Picasa would be great if they could resolve a few little minor issues (like, why do I have to create a new folder every time I want to upload pictures from my camera, why can't I just stick them into an already existing folder), but for viewing pictures, and just enjoying looking at them by scroling, it's unbeatable, in my opinion.

Good luck!

PS: I edited this message. The gremlins ate a piece of a sentence.. :oops:

Godsongz
01-17-2004, 06:19 AM
I've tried both now, and I think Picasa is the hands-down winner. There are a few things about it that I don't quite get, and a few features I wish it had... but nevertheless it is a brilliant piece of software.

Jason Dunn
01-17-2004, 06:21 AM
I've tried both now, and I think Picasa is the hands-down winner. There are a few things about it that I don't quite get, and a few features I wish it had... but nevertheless it is a brilliant piece of software.

Well, keep in mind that version 2.0 is coming soon - they've been on 1.x for a long time...the best thing you can do is click on that little Picasa logo in the upper right corner, and give them your feedback. I've submitted 50+ feature requests over the past year. :lol: