View Full Version : Pocket PC Phone

csterns
01-15-2004, 05:21 AM
Other than Handango is there another specific site that promotes Pocket PC Phone software?

JustinGTP
01-15-2004, 05:29 AM
Do you know about http://www.smartphonethoughts.com

Dont know whats over there, but Im sure you can get some good links etc.

Janak Parekh
01-15-2004, 05:32 AM
Do you know about http://www.smartphonethoughts.com
That's Smartphone though, not Pocket PC Phone.

csterns, if you're looking for a software retailer, PocketGear (www.pocketgear.com) is the other "big" one. They also carry PPCPE software...

--janak

JustinGTP
01-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Oh, pardon me. Isnt Pocket PC Phone the same as a PPC in terms of software then anyways?

Pat Logsdon
01-15-2004, 05:44 AM
Oh, pardon me. Isnt Pocket PC Phone the same as a PPC in terms of software then anyways?
No. The PPCPE has phone software that's useless on a regular PPC, which is what I'm assuming csterns was looking for. Running Voice GSM wouldn't do much good on a 4150...

JustinGTP
01-15-2004, 05:46 AM
Okay, I understand now. Thanks. :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-15-2004, 06:08 AM
No. The PPCPE has phone software that's useless on a regular PPC, which is what I'm assuming csterns was looking for. Running Voice GSM wouldn't do much good on a 4150...
You're correct in your assertion about software, but you actually chose a lousy example. :razzing: RVGSM runs just fine on an iPAQ 4150 if you have a Bluetooth phone...

--janak

Jon Westfall
01-15-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm actually suprised that when MS decided to create PPCPE they made it so integrated. I figured they'd just slap some third-party dialer software on top of PPC and BAM - PPCPE in branding only. One of the few good decisions MS has made.

Kowalski
01-16-2004, 06:33 PM
integration of phone and pda functions is not a simple job for MS. if you look from a programmers perspective, you need some tools called SDK in order to build applications which uses the capabilities of integrated GSM/GPRS. of cource you can buy a CF-GSM module, but dont expect that all the applications will work for your card. this brings us a standart application interface.

Janak Parekh
01-16-2004, 09:39 PM
this brings us a standart application interface.
Right -- MS has generally been very good at creating extensive APIs. (Although, they have only recently started to make them extensive, clean APIs. ;))

--janak