View Full Version : very general question...what is the use of pocket pc?!!

Roozbeh
01-14-2004, 06:14 PM
hi

i know it might be very stupid question for all of you but....

i am now very busy searching all over internet for finding a pocket pc phone and or smartphone but suddenly i came to this point what is use of those pocket pcs that doesnt support phone?

i myself dont like to use pocket pc also becouse i think holding something that big at your head looks very funny...but what is use of pocket pc alone?

ie those with pocket pcs.put that in one pocket and their phone in another?!!
just for watching moviews and use it as mp3 player?!!!
ehat other uses pda/pocket pcs got...?!!!

powder2000
01-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Uh, as an organizer for notes, appointments, contacts, tasks, email, syncing with outlook, calculators, music, wifi internet, bluetooth internet with bluetooth cell phone, larger screen than cell phone, financial information/tracking, password information, gps connected mapping/tracking, voice recording, simple text and spreadsheet uses, database usage. The list goes on and on, you can do what ever you want, the model you get should depend on your needs though. Look at the specifications and compare before you buy. Oh ya, aside from the hybrid pda/phones, you can't write on the screen, you have to use t9 for text.

Roozbeh
01-14-2004, 07:44 PM
is there any great diffrence betwen smartphones and pocket pc phone instead of bigger screen/keyboard?

i mean is both applications(which are not dependable on very they specific device hardwares) runnable in each other or not?

Janak Parekh
01-14-2004, 08:07 PM
is there any great diffrence betwen smartphones and pocket pc phone instead of bigger screen/keyboard?
Yes. As powder2000 mentioned, Smartphones don't have a touch screen.

i mean is both applications(which are not dependable on very they specific device hardwares) runnable in each other or not?
Some Pocket PC software have Smartphone analogues, but not all. You cannot run the same version of the software, because of the touch screen and other differences (different screen size, button layout, user interface...)

--janak

arnage2
01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Hows your 2 inch screen on your smarthone. Im buying a toshiba e805 tomorrow with a 4 inch vga screen. I can watch dvds, play games, surf via wifi, listen to my music, and have a usb hdd. Can your spartphone have a hdd?

Ripper014
01-15-2004, 02:24 AM
I will try to respond with a less agressive tone... when asked what I do with my PocketPC... my general response is that it is my portable computer. Though its capabilities are not quite up to that of a full-fledged laptop... it works well enough... and is a lot more portable.

Afterall we are Just Chattin' RIGHT...?

ethancaine
01-15-2004, 07:49 AM
My quick answer for that is some of live in places where pda phone service is unavailable.

Also, I use my PDA for email, word, excel, games, music etc., and I rarely even carry my cell phone with me (I'd rather have a pager, to be honest, but they don't have english pagers in my acceptable price range for my area).

Kowalski
01-16-2004, 06:55 PM
you can do lots of things with a pocketpc. my list includes surfing, mp3, games outlook ... i like technological stuff and in my country only a small number of people have ppcs.
but you can do almost all of the tasks above with a smartphone. what differs most is that you have a smaller device thus you have some limitations.
but i think a phone edition ppc wont be so practical to use because of the complexity, size and power issues

one504
01-16-2004, 09:35 PM
You can fly:
http://www.winpilot.com/Gliders.htm
You can laugh:
http://www.ppcvidz.com/download/Categories.asp?cat_id=13
You can kick some...
http://www.fugawi.com/docs/milframe.html

Chin0z
01-17-2004, 06:51 PM
To me, having a phone and a pda seperately is always a plus. Imagine using your pda half way just to find out that your dry on batteries. At least if you bought the separate kit, you still have your phone.