View Full Version : Avantgo, MSNBC and odd symbols

MWWeston
01-14-2004, 06:24 AM
The MSNBC channel on my Avantgo on my h2215 is displaying odd symbols. It is like I do not have the correct Font to display the page. Is anyone else having this issue?

delfuhd
01-14-2004, 11:24 AM
I have that issue too. It happened when they upgraded the layout of their AvantGo pages... It happens when it tries to display certain puncuation such as apostrophes and quotation marks. So, any ideas anyone?

lonesniper
01-14-2004, 02:46 PM
I have the same problem. I can't believe that their web development department did not spot this in testing and have yet to solve it. Sometimes the channel is useless.

Colin

famousdavis
01-14-2004, 02:49 PM
The problem is the character set has (apparently) been changed on MSNBC's AvantGo pages. It's easy to correct to get a good display, but it's bothersome because you have to go through the trouble of correcting it just for MSNBC, and then "uncorrect" it again to see your other AvantGo's pages (my experience, anyway).

To see MSNBC correctly, do this:

Open Pocket IE
Tap Tools, Options
Tap the Advanced tab
Change the Language to Universal Language (UTF-8 )

MSNBC will look correctly now. You'll have to change it back to Western Alphabet to get everything else to look correctly, though (again, my experience).

ntractv
01-14-2004, 04:11 PM
The UTF-8 setting works great and I find I don't need to change it back to view other pages.

famousdavis
02-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Just a quick question on this matter....

Does anyone else still have a problem where AvantGo's MSNBC pages show irregular characters unless you switch character sets (under Tools, Options, Advanced) to UTF-8? And if you do switch to UTF-8, do the rest of your AvantGo pages look okay?

If you respond, please note which PPC operating system you're using....thanks!

lonesniper
02-25-2004, 06:12 PM
I use a HP2215 which has Windows Mobile 2003. I have switched the settings so MSNBC can be read. All the other pages I view, BBC, USAToday, Infosync.no and Cnet News view ok too.

ntractv
02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Just a quick question on this matter....

Does anyone else still have a problem where AvantGo's MSNBC pages show irregular characters unless you switch character sets (under Tools, Options, Advanced) to UTF-8? And if you do switch to UTF-8, do the rest of your AvantGo pages look okay?

If you respond, please note which PPC operating system you're using....thanks!

I set my iPAQ 5555 to the UTF-8 character set and everything is fine. All Avantgo channels work fine. If go back to Western, so goes MSNBC, so I just leave it on UTF-8.