View Full Version : Convince me to keep my pocketpc

Stayfrosty00
01-13-2004, 01:38 AM
I have had my h2210 for a few months now and am finding my experience with it to be subpar. Previous to this handheld I have had a palm IIIe, m100 (which i imediately took back), an early handspring visor, a palm V (which i absolutely loved). This generation of pocketpc's really called out to me being the huge geek that I am. I was going to get all wi-fi and bluetoothed up and go geek all over the floor. What I have found is that the simple day to day PIM stuff takes me either longer to do on the pocketpc or is generally more of a hassle. I love all of the geek stuff i can do with a pocketpc with video and some of the great games but I have been thinking lately about switch to a palm zire71 or a tungsten E. My h2210 has lost value on the free market (i.e. ebay) and selling it would not bring me the amount of money that I would want it to, so if any one could give me some good reasons to stick with the pocketpc I would be glad to hear them.

Sean

SassKwatch
01-13-2004, 03:14 AM
I'm generally not keen on trying to sell someone on continued use of a product with which they're not happy, 'but'........

It's been a fair while since I've used a Palm based device, but certainly don't recall the PIM functions being substantially easier to use. When I first switched to PPC, seems to me it was about a tossup....some functions on the Palm were marginally easier, and some on the PPC were also marginally easier.

One *BIG* plus PPC had over Palm (for me) in PIM functionality is the ability to create an unlimited number of categories. If that one function alone hasn't changed on the Palm platform, there's no way I could go back. But it's certainly a 'YMMV' item.

Maybe most importantly, how much additional s/w have you purchased for your ppc that you would want/need to purchase for a new Palm to provide equal functionality. For me, that would be reason #2.

Between those last 2 items, I fear I'm committed to the Dark Side for some time to come. :)

sracer
01-13-2004, 03:25 AM
Personally... if I was going to leave the PPC arena (I currently have an iPAQ 2215) I would get a Casio Pocket Viewer PV-400S. These things are amazing. For less than $50, you get a device with decent PIM apps, a lightweight, slender device that easily fits in a shirt pocket, monochrome display with backlighting. It has FLASH RAM so the contents are preserved even if the batteries are drained completely. To top it off, it uses 2 AAA batteries and I was getting over 8 months of heavy, everyday use on a pair of AAAs.

No worries about daily recharging... rock-solid syncing.... I had one for over a year before "upgrading" to a BE-300.

I would go back to that (PV-400S) and use my solid-state mp3/wma player for music.

c38b2
01-13-2004, 04:09 AM
You don't need a Pocket PC - come back to Palm. I did! Even though it may not be as capable as the Pocket PC, the Palm does select things and it does them well. I too felt hassled with the Pocket PC PIMS. I believe, SassKwatch, that the updated PIM applications in the Palm Tungsten E and Tungsten E3 accomidate unlimited categories (but only one catagory to each element). You'll find that, as long as you're looking up information on a Palm, the d-pad allows you to keep the stylus in its silo - something that I could never quite do with my Pocket PC. For example, if I want to check off a task, I highlight the task with the dpad and push enter. Do that on a Pocket PC and it opens the task. Then, when you push and hold the home button for about 2 seconds, the device goes back to the main (home) screen.

Sorry for my rambling - I'm just a little excited about my Palm! :D

jimski
01-13-2004, 07:15 AM
If you haven't already done so, try downloading trial versions of Pocket Informant and Agenda Fusion (only install one at a time). I too was initially dismayed with the PIM functionality of my first PPC after leaving my trusty Palm platform, but soon discovered the above PIM replacements could do things that I would have never imagined with my Palm. I settled on Agenda Fusion, but you may draw a different conclusion.

Also try a few Today screen add-ins, like Journal Bar, Rhino launch, iPAQ Panel and Quick Agenda. This really personalizes your device with things to make your life easier.

I am no big fan of Microsoft and Active Stink, but after spending 4 years with Palm's of varying types, and a bit of a rocky road with my first PPC (3870 must have been born on an ant farm-full of bugs) I must say that I am truly enjoying my PPC. But ultimately the decision will have to be your alone.

Air
01-19-2004, 05:39 AM
why should anybody convince you to keep the h2210 when all you need is a simple organizer like PalmV?

Obviously your handheld need is very simple, and h2210 features are mostly useless for you. get a palmV then. I would even recommend a paper notepad.

dmacburry2003
01-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Palms are great for your calendar, contacts, and tasks.

After using Palm myself, I must say that Pocket PC's can get a bit cumbersome, but I'm no super calendar freak. I just use a Pocket PC to play games (Chopper Alley, SimCity 2000, Anthelion, MS Entertainment pack) listen to music (60 songs on a 64MB MMC card), and to browse the web Wi-Fi style (SanDisk SDIO Wi-Fi card).

If you hate the Calendar/Contacts/Tasks apps on a Pocket PC I do recommend that you switch back to Palm, since MS hasn't changed theirs in... years. Palm's has been updated.

I still use my old m130... as a paperweight :twisted:

JustinGTP
01-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Why go changing something when you already have something that is capable of what you want?

Selling and buying a Palm that cannot multi-task seems a waste to me, spending more money and loosing the money on teh 2215!

And plus, then you cant use all the information on this site, and I know you will regret it later.

-Justin.

Thinkingmandavid
01-22-2004, 03:27 AM
I have used Palm, it was my first pda and it did not work out for me. Next was Symbian which is awesome!
My ppc is great as well :wink:
Of course if you are used to a certain OS it may be difficult for a bit, but I never had any problems from the differences.
There is free software that may help in that area. In either OS you will end up buying more software so that may be something to look into.