View Full Version : Smartpad2 or Inklink for $20 after rebate. Has anyone used either?

Candygogo
01-13-2004, 12:07 AM
It's at compusa.com; $30 mail in rebate. I took a chance and ordered the Smartpad2 (I like the soft keyboard built in) since it supports my Toshiba e740; gotta download the drivers.

Has anyone used either product? What are the pros and cons of using each?

jmkeuning
01-13-2004, 06:13 AM
are you saying you can get a smartpad2 at compusa for $20?

is that with the pad AND the pen?

mike

Jon Westfall
01-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I picked up an InkLink last weekend, and love it. In my opinion, its much more versitile than the SmartPad (I had a smart pad for my palm, it never worked well). The InkLink and SmartPad use the same PPC software, which works nicely on WM2003 with no problems. I only wish they had the option to import forms into the software and fill them out as you fill out the form on a clipboard. That would rock.

I'm using it for the classes I'm taking this semester, as I've grown weary of typing on my laptop (and notice that I surf mindlessly way too often while in class) and need to be able to sketch easier while still maintaining electronic copies of my notes.

Best of luck, I hope your SmartPad is as awesome as my InkLink.

Candygogo
01-14-2004, 03:29 AM
I picked up an InkLink last weekend, and love it. In my opinion, its much more versitile than the SmartPad (I had a smart pad for my palm, it never worked well). The InkLink and SmartPad use the same PPC software, which works nicely on WM2003 with no problems. I only wish they had the option to import forms into the software and fill them out as you fill out the form on a clipboard. That would rock.

I'm using it for the classes I'm taking this semester, as I've grown weary of typing on my laptop (and notice that I surf mindlessly way too often while in class) and need to be able to sketch easier while still maintaining electronic copies of my notes.

Best of luck, I hope your SmartPad is as awesome as my InkLink.

I was torn between the Smartpad2 and Inklink, but went with the SP2 becasue I wanted to see how the soft built in keyboard was. At this price, I'm almost tempted to pick up an Inklink anyway ;)

Oh well, I'll find out how well the SP2 works by Thursday

Candygogo
01-14-2004, 03:31 AM
are you saying you can get a smartpad2 at compusa for $20?

is that with the pad AND the pen?

mike

Yup :wink: Well, really after taxes and shipping it came out (for me) a little over $30 AR--I paid a little extra for 2 day shipping :)

Brad Adrian
01-14-2004, 03:51 AM
I've never used either product...Do they capture only an image of what's being written/drawn, or is the handwriting actually recognized and converted to text?

Candygogo
01-14-2004, 04:37 AM
I've never used either product...Do they capture only an image of what's being written/drawn, or is the handwriting actually recognized and converted to text?

I believe that it captures whatever's on the sketchpad, or cocktail napkin, etc...I doubt it converts the text.

ppc4me
01-14-2004, 06:27 PM
I've used a SmartPad for awhile with my 3870. It worked OK but I was never a big user - I got it more for my gadget addicition! When I got my 4155, I figured it would be unusable because the Smartpad has the IR fixed at the top and the 4155 IR is on the bottom.

When I saw the price for the InkLink after rebate I decided to pick it up. I got it yesterday and it worked well with the 4155. The IR transmitter is on a flexible cord so it can be easily aligned with the bottom of the 4155. I did have one problem where it was not connecting but it turns out I have to put the IR transmitter in what appears to be an upside down orientation (based on the printing on the unit) - once I did this it worked 100%.

The software stores a graphic image of what you write or draw, however there is the option to highlight some text and have it recognized as a keyword to file the note in a category. The recognition doesn't appear to work that well - lots of errors. I am not sure if it works better if you enlarge (zoom in) before trying to do the recogntion.

Another advantage is the InkLink will work on different size pads 5x8, 8x11, legal, etc.... the SmartPad only had support for a 5x8 pad to fit inside its portfolio. The SmartPad also uses AAAA batteries. It took some special online ordering to find those! The InkLink has a special batt but it looks like a watch or calc battery - 3 of them needed plus a AAA.

Tony
ppc4me

Candygogo
01-15-2004, 01:54 AM
I've used a SmartPad for awhile with my 3870. It worked OK but I was never a big user - I got it more for my gadget addicition! When I got my 4155, I figured it would be unusable because the Smartpad has the IR fixed at the top and the 4155 IR is on the bottom.

When I saw the price for the InkLink after rebate I decided to pick it up. I got it yesterday and it worked well with the 4155. The IR transmitter is on a flexible cord so it can be easily aligned with the bottom of the 4155. I did have one problem where it was not connecting but it turns out I have to put the IR transmitter in what appears to be an upside down orientation (based on the printing on the unit) - once I did this it worked 100%.

The software stores a graphic image of what you write or draw, however there is the option to highlight some text and have it recognized as a keyword to file the note in a category. The recognition doesn't appear to work that well - lots of errors. I am not sure if it works better if you enlarge (zoom in) before trying to do the recogntion.

Another advantage is the InkLink will work on different size pads 5x8, 8x11, legal, etc.... the SmartPad only had support for a 5x8 pad to fit inside its portfolio. The SmartPad also uses AAAA batteries. It took some special online ordering to find those! The InkLink has a special batt but it looks like a watch or calc battery - 3 of them needed plus a AAA.

Tony
ppc4me

AAAA batteries?! I never heard of those, are they expensive? I went ahead and ordered the Inklink as well, it should get here by next week (hopefully).

Did you have to download special drivers with the Inklink?

ppc4me
01-15-2004, 03:27 AM
I did not need to download any drivers. The Seiko tech support people suggested I download v3.3 of the InkManager Software but I'm waiting for a reply explaining what is different from 3.2 which was shipped w/ the unit.

Jon Westfall
01-15-2004, 07:36 PM
This software is supposed to allow for recognition through transcriber. It says it can export the written text to notepad, and then you can use notepad to recognize the text. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds like it could work, in theory.

Jon.

Candygogo
01-15-2004, 08:43 PM
I hit a few snags, but was able to get it to work. The cord connecting the IRDA device to the SP2 is a bit short, but after moving it around abit, I was able to get it connected to my Toshiba. The PDA is held to the pad by velcro. Being that the IR port on the Toshiba is SO low, I had to move it up a bit in order for the IR ports to send/receive to/from each other.

I'm going to keep it, but I suspect that the Inklink will be used a bit more (when I get it.)

onepieceman
01-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Anyone using it with WM2003? It seems to install OK and work for a few minutes, but then by XDA2 soft resets. It is almost certainly InkNote manager, as it never soft resets unless I'm running this app.

Jon Westfall
01-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Anyone using it with WM2003? It seems to install OK and work for a few minutes, but then by XDA2 soft resets. It is almost certainly InkNote manager, as it never soft resets unless I'm running this app.

I had this exact same thing happen when I had a targus wireless keyboard. What version of firmware are you using on your XDA II? My i-mate has 1.52WWE and InkNote works fine. Perhaps the targus would work fine on this bulild again...

Jon.

onepieceman
01-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Now this is really weird. It's all started working!
I don't know what I've done. I've got to put it down to some weird interaction with some other app that I may have uninstalled recently (don't ask me which one).
Seems to be working flawlessly now, and I have to say it is very impressive. Being able to write on real paper with a real pen and still have it all captured on my PPC is great news for me. I can't handle paper (as in I'm useless at filing it), but I do like using it, plus I have to draw a lot of freehand diagrams, so I think this might just get promoted from "gadget" to "useful tool" status.
I considered the Anoto pen, but the fact it needs special paper basically makes it useless to me. If I have to carry around a pad of special paper, I've defeated the point of a pen that helps me become paperless!