View Full Version : Some questions

fumaillo
01-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Hello everybody, here are some questions I´m wondering about:

Is necessary to install the Pocket PC 2003 SDK having already the Visual Studio 2003 Architect edition installed ?? (Obviously to develop applications for Pocket PC 2003 based PPC´s)

And another and more technical question: I want to develop an application that appears when the pocket pc is reseted (hard reset I think, like the one that appears that asks some data and teachs (very shortly), how to use the tap and hold feature).
I suppose that I have to add something to the registry but I´m not sure.

Well, thanks a lot in advance and sorry for my english.

Sven Johannsen
01-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Not sure about the first half, but I would think you need to add the PPC SDK whether that is for PPC2002 or WM2003 and the specific platforms.

The second half is about impossible for an individual. It would have to be something that is embedded in the ROM image of the device. When you hard reset, everything, including the registry is set back to factory defaults. The only thing that survives, disregarding flash cards, is the small user ROM area that is provided on most PPCs these days. Unfortunately there would be nothing left that would cause the PPC to go there and execute something.

The only way you could change the hard reset startup operation would be to modify the actual ROM image of the entire PPC and flash it with that modified image. While that is not impossible, there are folks flashing their devices with Linux implementations, it is not trivial, and would likely violate some copyright laws if you started with an existing image, like HP's or Toshiba's.